Help! broken beak on 8 week old pullet.

Pics

MotherHen1234

Chirping
Jul 24, 2018
image.jpg
I found my pullet with a broken beak! She seems to be in pain please help. Any advice is great!

OUCH ... I have read about tea bag & super glue but I'd be afraid of gluing the beak shut or getting in the nostrils. So close to the nostrils, the smell may not be good? Wait for the tagged BYC members, they'll know what to do :bow

As for feeding, you could wet the crumbles making a mash. Even some scrambled eggs or whatever is soft that she will eat, although it may be awhile before she tries, looks sore. :fl :hugs

First of all she's in a lot of pain and probably in shock, the beak being one of the most sensitive parts of a chicken's body. Treat for that first with half a baby aspirin (81 grains) two time a day and electrolytes in her water. (Older chickens get one whole baby aspirin twice a day)

The tea bag and super glue is impractical in some of these broken beak cases, especially when the victim is so tiny and young. I would keep the beak moist with an antibiotic ointment and give her vitamin B-7 and biotin to help grow in stronger cutaneous cells on her beak.

Meanwhile, feed her soft foods such as moistened feed, soft boiled egg, yogurt, etc.

Thank you all so much! I put her in our old large brooder in be basement of our house. She is sleeping right now. Since it is 10:00pm here I will need to buy some electrolytes tomorrow at our local feed store. Thank you all for your quick replies. I am really hoping she will try to eat tomorrow!

Back
Top Bottom