HELP!!!! Broken egg :(

aduran619

In the Brooder
7 Years
Apr 6, 2012
San Diego
I found my only egg today broken and a little bloody. Is there anyway it can be saved? Or should I try buying more fertilized eggs and see if she'll sit on them till they are ready or will she get over it and just leave them? This is her first time being broody, she is a blue marans about 8 1/2 mo the old. Anything will help. Thank you for your time ill try to add a photo in a little bit so you can see how bad it is or isn't. Again thank you.

It its unlikely the egg will hatch if you are seeing blood. How far along was it?

I am not sure I would entrust eggs to a young,inexperienced hen that has proven herself to be not a great broody. You might want to wait until she is older, and let her set on some fake eggs for a while even then, before putting eggs under her again.

I think one of the other hens broke it. She is really good about staying on the eggs but the other hens like to lay thier eggs in that same box so when I make her get up they go straight into it. Although I really wanted to have baby chicks I will most likely wait till next time. Thank you for your input I really appreciate it.

If you are having problems with other hens getting in the nest when the broody gets up you may want to separate any future broodies. The best way would be to put them in a cage or kennel inside the coop if possible so they can still see & be seen by the other birds. This will make reintegration much more smooth as she is much less likely to lose her place in the pecking order

That makes sense. I tried making a separate nest on the bottom of the coop but she didn't want to stay in it she kept getting off and i didn't make it good enough for her to where she couldn't get out of it so she kept going back to the other nest and that's how the first 3 didn't make it. And this one was so close it would have at he's next week. :(

Back
Top Bottom