Help! Broken leg

Mikhail

Songster
11 Years
Nov 13, 2008
hit.gif
I found my button Silver with her head stuck between two of the top bars. I freed her but her leg is stiff and stuck out behind her, like its broken or she ripped it out of its socket while flailing around. I've moved her into her own cage separate from the other buttons but I don't know what to do. Will the vet have to amputate her leg or can it be healed? Is it likely she has a head injury since she was hanging from her head? I just don't know what to do.
sad.png

That sounds like the going to die pose so you probably found it just in time. More then likely it is dehydrated & stressed yet. Put the water close to it & handle it as little as possible. Feed it high protein food because they eat less when they are like this & you want every bite to count.

Thanks. She is eating, drinking, and alert and I gave her some cat food soaked in water. She's hopping around a bit but mostly is laying down and staying off her leg, which is good. I hope the vet will be able to fix her leg, or at least amputate.

I wouldn't suggest a vet. If she is acting normal other then the leg she may have hurt it. You should try to rotate the leg to see if it moves in a direction that it shouldn't. If you find it to be broken then Monarc explains ho to set & splint it on a thread in this site.

Unless they are your project breading stock that has taken years to develop or you have plenty of money to through away it is cheaper to replace the bird then to go to a vet. It is also hard to find a avian vet.

I might try to do something myself because I don't have much trust in my avian vets but I love Silver so I of course wouldn't want to replace her.

Do you know where the thread by monarc is? I tried searching for it but couldn't find it.

Back
Top Bottom