help...broody abandoned nest day 18/19 any hope?

bangor777

Songster
11 Years
May 4, 2008
I tried to move my broody yesterday to a nest on the floor. She wanted nothing to do with it so I put the eggs back in the nest box (four feet up) and she happily went back to the eggs. Went to check her today and she's off the nest and the eggs are cold (any other time I've found her off the eggs have been warm to the touch). I took the four eggs and placed them in the incubator. I don't know for sure how long she's been off, it's about 45 degrees in the coop and the eggs were cold. Any hope? Today is day 19! I feel terrible, stupid of me to try and move her at this late date, I was so busy with work and I put it off, I should have either done it sooner or not done it at all! I feel terrible. Candling just shows full eggs and a small air cell at the top, I don't see movement, but they're brown eggs and I never see movement this late! I guess I'll give them until day 22...I'm way too chicken to open an egg up. Anyone ever had a similar situation?

give them an extra 3-4 days beyond your expected hatch date; it can't hurt, and you may end up with babies.
fl.gif

anyone? I have duck eggs in the incubator that are about 14 days in so I'm kind of bummed to have the chicken eggs too...but if there's hope for them I don't want to just throw them out!

Back
Top Bottom