Help Broody Duck Trembling can't hold up neck

Lindsy

In the Brooder
9 Years
Jan 5, 2011
Hi everyone
Looking for some help!

I've a 2 year old broody Welsh Harlequin duck (Honker) who has been sitting on eggs for 3 weeks. She had a close encounter with an Eagle (very small cut) 2 weeks ago. Put polysporin on...has been fine. A good cranky broody duck.

Suddnely, 2 days ago she started trembling. Whole body. She can't keep her necked raised...it is lowered onto her back. She seems to have coordination issues and can tip over. Prior to this, she came off the nest, ate, drank, swam and went back. She now closes her eyes. No wounds or obvious things.

She has co-shared her next with the only other adult female. They are good pals...we lost our two drakes to the eagle so I assumed the ladies were comforting each other.

The ducks share a coop and run with 5 chickens and have for last few years. The chickens have suddenly turned nasty to the two female ducks. In meantime, we've had some new younger ducks, behind movable fencing in the run,, with there own water/food. Everyone else seems fine.

I've put some electrolytes in water and managed to get her to drink some. I've put her into a pet carrier with straw and water (and she will likely come into the house tonight)....its very hot here...20-26 Celsius...maybe a factor?

Anything else to try?

Thanks
Lindsy

I would bring her in the house out of the heat and away from any stress. Put her in a spot where she can rest. I would give her a vitamin e gel tab. Cut the end off and squirt it in a spoon with applesauce or something she will eat. I hope she gets better real soon.

Patty

Hi Patty
Thanks for the response.

Am I correct that you mean a vitamin E capsule? I'll give it a try.

Got some water with electrolytes in her. She keeps trying to stand and move...and falling over. So sad! I've got her by herself but she keeps shaking.

Linda

Yes a vitamin e capsule. So she is not doing any better? Make sure she drinks and eats if possible. Good luck with her I wish there was more I could tell you to do.

Patty

Back
Top Bottom