Help! Broody has mite infestation, what to do?

BunsNChicks

Songster
8 Years
Mar 22, 2011
salinas,ca
So one of my chickens died the other day and I had no idea why. Well I think it may have been mites because today I went into my Broody's area (a dog crate inside a coop) and I could see millions of mites crawling all over the outside of it. I sprayed some of the inside of the coop with Adam's flea & tick and also sprayed the top of the broody hens body (she was ******!). I noticed her combs are pale...what should I do?

Treat everything. Bathe the broody, clean and treat the coop, treat all the rest of the birds. Then do it all again in 10 days.

Sorry. Bugs are a nuisance. I feel your pain. I have dealt with mites too many times at this point.

Good luck.

I'm afraid she will stop sitting if I bath her know. I checked the rest of the flock and they seem ok...maybe cuz they have access to dust baths? I sprayed Adam's flea and Tick on the broody...any idea if I can spray this on the eggs too?

I had a mite infestation with my hens and had to treat them all with a powder that was like grey talcum powder. I was made of crushed coral which is harmless to the hens but like cut glass to the mites. It was easy to do - hold the hen and work the powder between the feathers right to the skin. It is especially important to treat around the vent area, warm places (in wing/leg joints) and around the head. Apparently mites can get into the hen through their ears and eventually into the brain ( a vet told me this but then she also said she knew nothing about poultry!). I also put it in the bedding / dust box so that the hens could dust themselves with it. Mites were gone in a few days but I treated the bedding for 3 weeks following. Not a mite in sight today! I'm not sure what the powder would do to the eggs but I would think it would be harmless. Anyone else know?

Back
Top Bottom