Help! Broody has mite infestation, what to do?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by BunsNChicks, Apr 20, 2012.

1. BunsNChicks

BunsNChicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 22, 2011
    salinas,ca
    So one of my chickens died the other day and I had no idea why. Well I think it may have been mites because today I went into my Broody's area (a dog crate inside a coop) and I could see millions of mites crawling all over the outside of it. I sprayed some of the inside of the coop with Adam's flea & tick and also sprayed the top of the broody hens body (she was ******!). I noticed her combs are pale...what should I do?

2. CMV

CMV Flock Mistress

Apr 15, 2009
    Treat everything. Bathe the broody, clean and treat the coop, treat all the rest of the birds. Then do it all again in 10 days.

Sorry. Bugs are a nuisance. I feel your pain. I have dealt with mites too many times at this point.

Good luck.

3. BunsNChicks

BunsNChicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 22, 2011
    salinas,ca
    I'm afraid she will stop sitting if I bath her know. I checked the rest of the flock and they seem ok...maybe cuz they have access to dust baths? I sprayed Adam's flea and Tick on the broody...any idea if I can spray this on the eggs too?

4. klmclain1

klmclain1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 14, 2011
    If you don't treat the mites right away, she will die.

5. Momhen

Momhen Out Of The Brooder

Aug 5, 2011
    I had a mite infestation with my hens and had to treat them all with a powder that was like grey talcum powder. I was made of crushed coral which is harmless to the hens but like cut glass to the mites. It was easy to do - hold the hen and work the powder between the feathers right to the skin. It is especially important to treat around the vent area, warm places (in wing/leg joints) and around the head. Apparently mites can get into the hen through their ears and eventually into the brain ( a vet told me this but then she also said she knew nothing about poultry!). I also put it in the bedding / dust box so that the hens could dust themselves with it. Mites were gone in a few days but I treated the bedding for 3 weeks following. Not a mite in sight today! I'm not sure what the powder would do to the eggs but I would think it would be harmless. Anyone else know?

6. klmclain1

klmclain1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 14, 2011
    crushed coral is DE (diotomaceous earth). It will not kill the buggers.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by