Help! Broody is out of control!!

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Wiglwerm, May 14, 2010.

1. Wiglwerm

Wiglwerm Out Of The Brooder

Nov 9, 2009
    My BO just hatched out our first chicks ever! We were so excited! As soon as those babies hatched my BR hen went broody...She layed on one and I added 5 turken/GLW eggs to her. I noticed that my GLW had stopped laying and I thought that was quite strange but she had just started recently, so oh well...I went to check on my BR hen and noticed the GLW laying right next to her. Then I realized what was happening!! When the GLW layed her egg everyday my BR hen would scootch it under herself. Instead of 6 eggs she is sitting 16!!! How is this going to work? Will she just keep adding to the clutch? When the babies start to hatch the time span from the first to the last will be expansive, will she stay on them till they all hatch, or quit at some point? I think I am going to move the GLW or her tomorrow...Some advice please? I think I may be overrun with chickies!! [​IMG] [​IMG]

2. Jen4

Jen4 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 7, 2008
    Munfordville, KY
    Awww man. I dont know what to tell ya, sorry. When my hens go broody and I give them egg I mark them with an x so then when I collect eggs I know not to grab them and I always look under my broody hens for extra eggs.

Hope some one can help ya

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by