Help! Brown spots forming on hatching pekin duck egg after external pip!

I take mine out only an hour or two after hatch, some do it earlier, If you wait till the duckling is completely dry he'll be in there for at least a day. As long as you move him into a draft-free, already pre-heated brooder he is not going to become hypothermic and die.
X2. You can take him out now @BrendaM13 . I never leave mine in until they're dry, unless they gatch over night. You can take him out for sure. You don't want him hurting his sore little navel.

Are any other eggs externally pipped? If you need to open the incubator to apply the oil, take the egg out quickly, mist the other eggs, shut the incubator. Apply the oil, very gently and don't get it in the bill or eyes. Just the membrane. Then open the incubator, put it back, and mist the eggs again. I'm pretty hands on during hatch, I remove shells, remove babies as soon as they're somewhat dry, candle unpipped eggs, and I just mist with warm water when I'm done. I've never had a shrink wrapped chick. I'm not saying be like me, but I've never had any problems with it. You'll be totally fine to open it up and put on oil quick.
X 2!

💛💛💛💛

Attachments

• 766E5C61-3E8E-4DF3-AF7A-E6600E3C0FF9.jpeg
    766E5C61-3E8E-4DF3-AF7A-E6600E3C0FF9.jpeg
    660.8 KB · Views: 9
@MGG and others...One more question today: do I keep heat lamp on a night in brooder box? The lamp is keeping an end of the brooder box around 98 degrees. Our newly born duckling is in our FL room which already quite warm and free of drafts.

@MGG and others...One more question today: do I keep heat lamp on a night in brooder box? The lamp is keeping an end of the brooder box around 98 degrees. Our newly born duckling is in our FL room which already quite warm and free of drafts.
Yep, the lamp needs to be on 24-7 for the first few weeks. He's adorable! You can back the temp off to 90 degrees at the hot end though. Ducklings don't need as much heat as chickens.

Back
Top Bottom