Help!!!!! Buff Orpington fractured leg

I have no idea. I am thinking that she either fell off the roost or landed wrong. She used to be the alpha. But in recent times she’s being pecked on.

I hope that splinting the leg and having her rest it will hopefully help it heal. It is hard to know how they will do with such a serious injury, but it is worth a try to save her. The nerve involvement is a huge complication, and it could be that she will not recover the feeling or ability to move it. But I would take time to see how it goes, and then you would be better prepared on how to proceed.

Tomorrow I am working at a location that is about 30 mins from the other vet that does livestock. It is about 1 hr from home so I am thinking about bringing her with me so I can bring her there for another opinion. And I can ask them for an antibiotic. It will be about 45 degrees tomorrow and I am thinking she may be ok in the car if I have her covered in a towel. She has not moved from the spot I put her in when we got home from the vet yesterday.
F795F79E-A3B3-4E55-B0BD-8014C019DDB6.jpeg

So..... I took Buffy to a different hospital where they took xrays. You would not believe what they show!
the break is in the tibia just above the joint that I thought was where the problem is. See the leg below on the left towards the bottom. You can see the break just above the joint. Easy fix if that was all.
631D06D4-4B9A-4D75-BF28-8C4662AA218E.jpeg

now, look further up the leg...

339D6046-443A-4CE9-BF39-3A0107A86BE1.jpeg

here’s a close up....

344B6991-3002-4B1B-987D-F987C1C9C099.jpeg

yeah....there’s 2 screws that she swallowed that seem to have been there a while.
Here’s another view of the break:
AE8FB9D5-49A7-4F3E-AA68-F3938C7359E3.jpeg

According to the vet, her blood was showing her being anemic which she attributes to metal toxicity from the screws. This would make her bones fragile accounting for the break.

it also may explain why she went from the alpha hen to being picked on by a Serama Roo half her size. She was not feeling well.

shes in the hospital and tomorrow they are going to try to remove the screws by a scope and then set the break. If the scope doesn’t work they will do it surgically. The X-ray also shows an egg forming.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom