Help!!!!! Buff Orpington fractured leg

I'm so glad you were able to get a second opinion. Its terrible that the first vet wanted to remove the entire leg or euthanize without even getting a good picture of what was going on.

On a personal note I'm always very late to ever decide to put an animal "out of its misery" obviously there are situations where death is truly imminent but in my opinion it's rare that you can no for certain there is no hope and still have time to drive the animal to the vet to put it down.

A quote that has stuck with me since high school is a short poem by D.H. Lawrence.

"Self-Pity

I never saw a wild thing
sorry for itself.
A small bird will drop frozen dead from a bough
without ever having felt sorry for itself."

I believe the poem was aimed at the human tendency to bemoan their circumstances instead of fix them. But it also demonstrates how powerful the will to survive is in even the smallest of creatures. Even if things ultimately don't work out I believe your bird is very happy to be alive, and lucky to have an owner like you who refused to give up.

Thank you all. I just heard from the hospital. She is resting well, laid an egg, and is eating and drinking. They will scope later this afternoon. They said they have had good success with anesthetizing chickens so they are not worried about that.

I will update tonight after the deed is done....
Buffy head shot.jpg

Last edited:
Sounds
Thank you all. I just heard from the hospital. She is resting well, laid an egg, and is eating and drinking. They will scope later this afternoon. They said they have had good success with anesthetizing chickens so they are not worried about that.

I will update tonight after the deed is done....View attachment 2023934
Awwww poor baby....

Back
Top Bottom