Help!!!!! Buff Orpington fractured leg

Buffy is doing pretty well considering. She's basically just laying in the box. Tonight we will try to get her into a bigger one. She hasn't been pooping a lot, nothing overnight at least until we left at 9am. I'm thinking I will find a big broody poop when we get home. Last night she expelled a poop that was mostly clear liquid. I guess the antibiotic is probably effecting it.

Here's her in her box:

Buffy in box.JPG

Here's her meds and the 2 screws:

Buffy meds.JPG

I put a quarter down for comparison. I have to give her an injection 2x per day of calcium which acts as chelation to remove the zinc from her body.
Then I have to give her 1/2 tablet of the anti-inflammatory 2x per day. Finally the amoxicillin tablet 2x per day. Look at the size of that freakin tablet. Last night I shoved the whole thing down her throat. This morning I mashed it in some banana. It was hard to get her to get it all. The 1/2 tab I was able to squeeze into a piece of bread.
I mentioned to her that if she could get those screws down she could at least try to eat the tabs. She didn't get the logic.....

Buffy is doing pretty well considering. She's basically just laying in the box. Tonight we will try to get her into a bigger one. She hasn't been pooping a lot, nothing overnight at least until we left at 9am. I'm thinking I will find a big broody poop when we get home. Last night she expelled a poop that was mostly clear liquid. I guess the antibiotic is probably effecting it.

Here's her in her box:

View attachment 2025570

Here's her meds and the 2 screws:

View attachment 2025573

I put a quarter down for comparison. I have to give her an injection 2x per day of calcium which acts as chelation to remove the zinc from her body.
Then I have to give her 1/2 tablet of the anti-inflammatory 2x per day. Finally the amoxicillin tablet 2x per day. Look at the size of that freakin tablet. Last night I shoved the whole thing down her throat. This morning I mashed it in some banana. It was hard to get her to get it all. The 1/2 tab I was able to squeeze into a piece of bread.
I mentioned to her that if she could get those screws down she could at least try to eat the tabs. She didn't get the logic.....
Chickens can swallow mice whole.
Don't worry about the pill being too big...it's not.

We have to bring her back in a week to recheck, possibly re-cast. and then again a week later. They will take another X-ray to make sure everything is setting well. They said the X-ray will be simpler and cheaper.... If you knew how much this has cost me so far you'd be sending the guys with the straight jacket over....

I think I now have the world's most expensive chicken. and we can't even eat her...

I'll have to throw out all her eggs for quite a while until all the meds are out of her system.

I don't remember how many mgs the amoxicillin is. I'll check when I get home tonight. I'm right handed. It was tough to try to hold her still and get her beak open. She tries to struggle and I'm afraid she'll hurt the leg
I was just wondering which hand because of your pretty handwriting.

Back
Top Bottom