Help! Bully Chick

Chickenmom23

In the Brooder
Apr 22, 2022
We have never had chicks before but decided to start down this rabbit hole. We got 6 chicks three weeks ago, 2 lavender orpingtons, 2 easter eggers and 2 silkies. They are all pretty calm breeds. We think one of the silkies may be a rooster as their feathers are coming in differently but only time will tell. Two weeks ago we decided to add a little prairie bluebell chick that was the same age as the others. It is nice and healthy and came from the same breeder but she keeps pulling at the feathers of the other chicks. I know they are supposed to be a more active breed. It isn’t bullying against a certain chick, she’s doing it to ALL of them. I thought at first it might be trying to figure out the pecking order but it has continued. The others do not do this behavior so I don’t think it is space or food. They are at 1 square foot per chick in the brooder pen they are in. But I did order a larger pen so they will have more room. They have a “jungle gym” two mirrors and dot drawings on the walls, food and water at all times and are getting at least 8 hours of dark at night with a heat plate in place of a lamp so not too much light stimulation. Tried a pecking block but no one messed with it. (in fact they were scared of it lol) I tried putting her in another pen for a couple of minutes to give one of them a break and she peeped like a maniac until she was back with the others do not sure if separating will be too stressful. Any other suggestions you might be able to add to deal with that type of behavior? It’s getting worse and they will give a little squeak now as she pulls so hard. I have seen some anti pecking sprays but wasn’t sure if they are safe for 4-5 week old chicks.

Attachments

• 5F3048AF-A221-47E5-A50A-3FED5A223FF4.jpeg
    5F3048AF-A221-47E5-A50A-3FED5A223FF4.jpeg
    684.1 KB · Views: 27
Hi! Welcome to BYC! :frow And welcome to owning some cute chickies!

Silkies are very hard to tell gender for. Though non bearded silkies are easier.

You can tell, though this will take a bit. When the male gets some spikey feathers coming from the back of his head, called streamers.

not to sure on the bullying issue, sorry. Maybe someone else can come along and help
:)

Hi! Welcome to BYC! :frow And welcome to owning some cute chickies!

Silkies are very hard to tell gender for. Though non bearded silkies are easier.

You can tell, though this will take a bit. When the male gets some spikey feathers coming from the back of his head, called streamers.

not to sure on the bullying issue, sorry. Maybe someone else can come along and help
:)
They are so funny and turning into quite the fluff balls now that their legs heads and tails are coming in!

They have dots drawn on a board on the side, two mirrors, and a roosting bar type thing. We tried a small pecking block but they weren’t interested. Any other suggestions for activities to add?
I dont know any other activities. Mine only have a mirror a roosting bar and a xylophone that came with the mirror. I had a easter egger last year that started attacking my brahma then she tried attacking me. So i ended up getting rid of her. Hope you can figure out the problem. Also seperating her for a few days again might help.

Back
Top Bottom