HELP BUMBLE FOOT

BobbieB7

Chirping
Mar 2, 2021
Rhode Island USA 🇺🇸 Zone 6b
Hi there I have 2 ladies that unfortunately have bumble on both feet.
I’ve followed instructions and made incision into foot around scab . I removed the scab , but I don’t see any corn. It just looks like flesh. I’m not sure if I need to remove the flesh. I’ve used Prid and neosporin than trying several times to remove bumble. Does this look normal or should I explore more with scalpel
I blacked out blood so y’all can get a better look

Attachments

• F73D916B-7FD5-4CCA-A878-697055EB3891.jpeg
    F73D916B-7FD5-4CCA-A878-697055EB3891.jpeg
    335.9 KB · Views: 18
  • D5D87AB1-46DA-47D9-BFDA-DF8DDE342DD4.jpeg
    D5D87AB1-46DA-47D9-BFDA-DF8DDE342DD4.jpeg
    249.2 KB · Views: 8
I wouldn't cut any more than that. I only use surgery as a last ditch effort because it's just more trauma to the foot, opens it up to more infection, and can take just as long as the original bumblefoot scab to heal.

From the picture it looks like it was a pretty small scab and so hopefully the "bumble" came out with the scab already. Sometimes the core can migrate around the pad, and you can try pressing her foot pad toward the wound to see if a core appears, but your girl's foot doesn't look very swollen so I'm guessing this is not the issue. I've also gotten my girls over minor bumblefoot without removing a core as long as the foot isn't showing signs of larger infection (redness and swelling).

In short, I'd just keep it clean and bandaged for a few days. Once it's scabbed over nicely and there is no sign of infection you can stop cleaning it regularly and just keep it bandaged until the scab heals. It heals a lot faster if you can keep pressure off of it, so bandage with a little cushion of gauze or use some foam corn pads that you can get at the pharmacy to stick around the scab to keep her weight off it. Here is a good how-to of chicken foot wrapping if you haven't done it before: https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/how-to-correctly-wrap-a-chickens-foot.77028/

Yes, I would use ointment and bandaging until those heal up. They are open wounds and need protection. IMO, I would let it all heal before I may have the need to do it again. I would keep soaking daily helping the wounds heal. When it's all healed and if you feel to go in again, what I do is soak bandages in epsom salts and wrap the feet or soles with it right before it's night for about 5 days. Night because they are in a position to really soak and not rip the bandage off. Soaking like that should help bring that kernal up to be closer to the surface. Then you make only a slit over the hard area. I hope you can do this when it's not freezing.

I have had some chickens just reabsorb the kernal and disappear. Others I always let them run around with a bandage and ointment on asap. All that soaking makes their feet soft and they really need to harden them up again by being loose on the ground.

One thing about dirt. If you slather the ointment on and a bandage, and they get their feet dirty, just know that the dirt is sitting on top of the ointment . The ointment is still on the wound. It took me a while to understand that. Still wash and rebandage every day.

Back
Top Bottom