Help! Caged Bantam rooster barely standing with his head on the ground.

Butt nuggets

Hatching
Jun 2, 2020
Went to check on some caged birds this morning and found one of my Bantam roosters barely standing, against the pen with his head on the ground. He very lethargic and near death. His comb is slightly dark but not hot or cold. Is this likely a vitamin issue along with electrolyte deficiency? It was hot here last week but it's been better the past few days. No injuries. No other sick birds. I gave him a mixture of raw egg, water, corn system, electrolytes and nutri-drench. Any other suggestions?

UPDATE... I think I created a miracle cure. He is standing and able to hold his head up and even drank a little of the magic potion on his own before bed. Hopefully he will eat a little food tomorrow. 🤞

Last edited:
I'm sorry about your rooster!!! I'm no expert but what I would do is isolate the roo from the flock, and give him TONS of electrolyte or regular water. If he won't drink on his own, get a dropper and slowly squeeze out water on the side of his beak. It may drip down so try to get the water in the crevice of his beak. Water has saved some of my chickens lives in the past. Put him in a comfy spot to rest and give him a dropper full every half hour or so. I would also give him a dewormer in case he has worms. I hope that helps!

Does not sound like over feeding.
And chickens are good at self monitoring their food intake. Dehydration is possible.
Can you check his crop? Is it emptying properly?
Are his droppings solid?
Poor boy.

@Wyorp Rock

Went to check on some caged birds this morning and found one of my Bantam roosters barely standing, against the pen with his head on the ground. He very lethargic and near death. His comb is slightly dark but not hot or cold. Is this likely a vitamin issue along with electrolyte deficiency? It was hot here last week but it's been better the past few days. No injuries. No other sick birds. I gave him a mixture of raw egg, water, corn system, electrolytes and nutri-drench. Any other suggestions?
How old is he?

Hard to know what's going on. Could be heat exhaustion. Move him to a cooler area and see if you can get him hydrated.
I would alternate between plain cool water and electrolytes for the day.

This might be a silly question, but I have a bantam who is behaving similarly. When you say give him electrolytes, do you mean like Gatorade?

This might be a silly question, but I have a bantam who is behaving similarly. When you say give him electrolytes, do you mean like Gatorade?
Can you post some pictures? Yes, you can use Gatorade or Pedialyte for electrolytes, but most feed stores sell SaveAChick electrolytes, Poultry NutriDrench or Poultry Cell, and other electrolyte medicines, usually containing vitamins as well.

Can your rooster raise his head at all, or is it stuck down, or flaccid (paralyzed?)

Back
Top Bottom