Help! Call duck egg hatch - to help or not??

MqtDuckMama

Hatching
Mar 30, 2023
Hi all, new to hatching. We have 5 call duck eggs that are on day 27. 1/5 has externally pipped, about 24 hours ago. It made second pip mark this morning about 10 hours ago. No zip yet. The rest have no signs of external pip. No chirping from anyone. I have read a lot of conflicting advice on whether or not call duck eggs need assistance hatching - making a “safety hole” to help. I am very nervous to open the incubator at all during lockdown…but don’t want to leave them stranded if they do need help!! I have no idea if they have internally pipped, but again do not hear chirping.
Votes on help vs watch would be appreciated!

Ducks take longer to hatch than most other poultry. If a duck takes much longer than 24hrs to hatch, then that's when it'll need some assistance. Do not open the incubator when they're hatching. Wait until the rest have hatched and fluffed up to remove any ducklings. They can be in the incubator for up to 48hrs. Since this duckling is early for hatching, wait and let the be. The ducklings might've pipped early and still needs some time to absorb their yolk. If the duckling is shrink-wrapped, apply a very small amount of coconut oil to the membrane where it has pipped and make sure the humidity is at its correct levels.

If it's been well over 24hrs, make a safety hole first.
If you think the duckling might need help and hasn't shown any improvement, very CAREFULLY take only a piece of the eggshell off and look at the membrane. If the membrane I still red and filled with blood vessels, then the duckling has pipped too soon and needs some time to finish. I do not recommend doing this unless you're experienced because you can easily tear the membrane and cause the duckling to bleed. - Helping a duckling hatch

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom