Help call duck not eating!!!!!!

No he still hasnt eaten anything on his own have tried bread will try yogurt in the morning, tried scram led egg but wouldnt touch it do you know how much a call duck should eat in a day ? ThaNks again for your replys

Gosh I am sorry I sure don't I have Muscovies and I don't even know how much one of them eats in a day since they all eat out of the same feeder. Put some yogurt on the bread maybe that will entice him to eat, Have you talked to the vet about his not eating?

Yes the vet says he dosent know why he isint eating he said to keep feeding him with syringe and he should improve but it might take a few days he said to put him out with the others for a while but it is below zero degrees centigrade here at the moment so I think it is too cold for him to go out yet if he is still not well, if it warms up a bit in the afternoon I will try him for a while

I have one other suggestion, although it might seem daft. My Doog ate something she shouldn't have and got sick and I knew that I had to get her to drink lots of water to flush it out but she was too poorly to. So I put peas (my duck's favourite treats) in their waterbowl and brought them more every hour right through the night. The other ducks were so excited that even though Doog was sick, she sort of got swept up in the moment and by about 2 am was drinking and eating and had washed the bad stuff right out her system. Does your duck have a little favoured friend that maybe you could put in with him just for a bit so he can see them eating all the treats and getting excited by them? Ducks sometimes have a habit of copying the flock, maybe seeing his friend scoffing will encourage him to?

Priss ,thanks for that but I brought in a lady friend and put both of them in the kitchen sink with peas and pond weed the other day but he didnt bother with them ,this morning he attempted to eat three or four pellets so that was an improvement for him to even try!!!!! so then i put him out with the others and he poked about a few minutes so i left him for an hour but when i checked him he was sitting on his own so I brought him in again ,its very cold here and i want to keep him warm until he is fully better, thanks again for all your help and support

Awww Sandra. Poor little duck. Well at least he tried a little. I really hope he gets better, there is nothing more heartbreaking than a little sick duck.
sad.png

hugs.gif

Good news he ate some meal worms not sure how many because i had to stand well back from the box or he would stop ,they are the dried ones you give to robins.I put him in the sink for a swim but he just wanted to get out I think maybe his muscles are still sore as the dog bite left him with a hole in his chest that you could see into before the vet stitched him up!!!. at least he isstarting to make an effort to eat so that is a bit of an improvement ,Yeah

Morning sandra, glad to hear of progress, your a good ducky mommie. My ducks love dried meal worms, they all get some every afternoon, keep up the good nursing and keep us updated.
thumbsup.gif

Yaaaaaaaaaaaaaay little one! He's trying! He's really trying! Guess it's going to take a bit of time. He might be kind of traumatised as well, that loses you your appetite for a bit as well. Poor lamb, I am totally rooting for him. Keep up with the updates!

OK update ,he ate a little bit more on his own today ,brought him out to the others for about half an hour and he went over to the other 5 call ducks and sifted around in the mucky puddles for a minute or two .I brought him back into the house as it is too cold outside and he was starting to stand around on his own .I put him in the sink again for a swim but he has no interest ,I think his muscles might be a bit sore where he is healing, its only a week today since he was bitten ,he has a slight limp tonight but I saw him slip a bit on an icy puddle this morning so I think that is what caused it.He is very bright and quacks when you go near him,when i fed him with the syringe tonight he put up much more of a fight then he did 2 days ago so I feel he is getting stronger by the day so hopefully a couple more days of feeding him to get his strength back and he should be ok ,the wound is dry and seems to be scabbed over well ,its a bit hard to see because his feathers are covering it well ,will keep you posted.

Back
Top Bottom