Help call duck not eating!!!!!!

sandracollins

Chirping
9 Years
Sep 5, 2010
dublin ireland
My call drake was bitten by my own dog on Saturday (still not talking to my dog),he had a hole just in front of his legs about an inch and a half round.I washed it out and put antibiotic cream into it.Took him to the vet on Sunday and he stitched him up and gave him antibiotics.The wound is healing great but he is not eating ,I brought him out to the rest of the flock today (17 chickens and 5more call ducks) I thought it might cheer him up but it didnt work ,I brought him back in tonight and I gave him about 8 mls of pellets mashed through a syringe twice tonight he is drinking but his poo is mint green i am hoping this is only because he is not eating ,any help would be welcome as I am new to this

The poop is that colour as he is not eating, and the antibiotics. Just keep persevering with the syringe if he wont eat- but also try him on lettuce peas etc- anything really at this stage would help. A bit of bread soaked in egg. Im just trying to think of things that might taste good to him to get his appetite back again.

Thanks guys,tried peas,lettuce,meal worms ,melon,grapes,pond weed but he wont try anything feed him again this morning he drinks and makes noise when you come near him ,but his poo is still watery and mint green even though i fed him last night ( i am in Ireland so my time is ahead of yours) someone here on another post said that mint green poo meant there was something wrong with his liver i hope you are right that it is just because he is not eating ,going to the vet again today for last antibiotic shot and i will update when i get back

Ohhh you poor thing and your poor little duck. I don't have very much experience really but I remember when my Doog was very very sick, the first sign of her getting better was that she started to drink. So hopefully if your duck is drinking then the eating will follow. I agree, keep putting his favourite treats in as well as food. Antibiotics can sometimes make you feel nauseous and not like eating. If he's drinking, how about even trying a little milk? I hope hope hope he gets better poor little lamb.
xxxxx

Hi ,vet said he looks really good dosent know why he is not eating but he said if it was his liver he would be much sicker,when i came back I let him out for a while with the others and he seemed a bit more active even nosed around in the muck for a minute .I brought him back into the house because it is only 32 degrees here and let him swim in the sink with a bit of pond weed in it he ate a very small bit of that so even that is a small improvement .Am I the only mad person that brings the sick animals into the kitchen ??????????

Nope you are not mad if you stay in the forums enough you'll see we all are [mad] about our animals. I just got an email last night of someone having a baby horse in their living room with a diaper on [of course] So just stick with him and hopefully he'll start to eat and get over this. Antibiotic can make them have upset stomach so maybe try yogurt or buttermilk on bread to try to get back good gut bacteria. Keep us updated.
thumbsup.gif

The vet injected the antibiotic would that still make him feel sick nd give mint green poo its still like that even though i feed him 3 times today ?

I had to take my dog to the vet Monday he is on an antibiotic, they told me he could have upset stomach, diarrhea, so this could be what your seeing. Is he eating anything on his own? Have you tried to give him some plain yogurt maybe with a little bread in it? mine love bread. The yogurt will help put back good bacteria that the antibiotics kill.

Back
Top Bottom