1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

HELP!! Can I introduce 2 day old chicks to a hen that is already raising a 2 week old chick??

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by crystals coop, Feb 23, 2013.

1. crystals coop

crystals coop New Egg

Apr 26, 2012
    My first time hatching with an incubator - and I have had FANTASTIC success! Looks like I have about 13 babies - mix of bantams and standards =) So exciting!! I have everything I need to make a brooder, but I also have a standard Cochin hen that is raising a 2 week old bantam chick that she hatched. Would it be safe to try and introduce these new chicks to her? And how should I go about doing this - hide them under her at nite? The first 2 chicks hatched late Thursday night, so I would like to move them to the brooder or under my hen (her name is Bunny!) as soon as possible. All of your input and ideas are greatly appreciated!! Thanks - Crystal
    [​IMG]

2. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    The hen is already strongly bonded to her chick and will most likely not accept new chicks. There are some hens who are so motherly that you can foster chicks to them at almost any time, but they are the exception rather than the rule.

3. suebee

suebee Speaks Silkie Fluently

Apr 1, 2007
    N. Carolina
    Yes, I agree. She may kill it, the 2 week old might kill it, so watch carefully.

4. Rainey Ranch

Rainey Ranch Out Of The Brooder

Feb 15, 2013
    Florida
    from what i have heard You will have to introduce new chicks to the hens at about 10-12 weeks.

5. crystals coop

crystals coop New Egg

Apr 26, 2012
    That is really good to know =) Thank you! I will set up my brooder right away - time to move babies! Wish me luck!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by