HELP!! Can I introduce 2 day old chicks to a hen that is already raising a 2 week old chick??

crystals coop

Hatching
7 Years
Apr 26, 2012
My first time hatching with an incubator - and I have had FANTASTIC success! Looks like I have about 13 babies - mix of bantams and standards =) So exciting!! I have everything I need to make a brooder, but I also have a standard Cochin hen that is raising a 2 week old bantam chick that she hatched. Would it be safe to try and introduce these new chicks to her? And how should I go about doing this - hide them under her at nite? The first 2 chicks hatched late Thursday night, so I would like to move them to the brooder or under my hen (her name is Bunny!) as soon as possible. All of your input and ideas are greatly appreciated!! Thanks - Crystal

The hen is already strongly bonded to her chick and will most likely not accept new chicks. There are some hens who are so motherly that you can foster chicks to them at almost any time, but they are the exception rather than the rule.

That is really good to know =) Thank you! I will set up my brooder right away - time to move babies! Wish me luck!

Back
Top Bottom