Help! Can other birds get sick from chicken poo?

GammaPoppyLilyFlutter

Love Comes with Feathers
9 Years
Jun 26, 2010
California
My parakeet was in an apple tree in my backyard when she saw a jay, got scared, and jumped on the ground. She landed in a fresh patch of chicken droppings (wet) and got some on her tail. I tried washing it off, but it still has a very strong odor. I'm afraid that she may get diseases from the poo. Is there anything I can do?

Last edited:
I'm really sorry I can't help, but I would try changing the subject of this question to "Help! Can other birds get sick from chicken poo?" or something like that, because that's more along the lines of what you need to know, and hopefully the right people will answer. Good luck!

I think that the answers is yes she could get sick from chicken poop. The chicken would have to have some type of disease, that it could pass on to the parrot. Avian flu would be one of those types of disease that could be passed on, and I believe that Mareks can be passed. It very unlikely that the chickens have something that would be passed on.

I would try cleaning the parrots feathers with vinegar. Vinegar is great for neutralizing odors. It would also change the PH, so that almost any pathogen would be killed off.

Parrots can't get Marek, but they can get Avian Flu. The more likely contagion, though, is a protozoa or intestinal parasite like coccidia or roundworms. The other concern would be gram negative bacteria, since chickens can have G-neg bacteria in their stools, whereas parrots do not have naturally occuring G-neg bac and therefore no or little immunity against it. But, oops, I just saw this post was on the 6th, so I'm assuming that by now your fid would have gotten sick. Still...posting this anyway just as an FYI.

Back
Top Bottom