Help! Can't figure it out!

ToriCC

In the Brooder
Oct 2, 2020
My barred rock has something wrong with her and I can't figure out what.
She's lost weight and is really really sleepy. She walks slowly which made me think injury but I don't see anything. There aren't worms coming out of her and no sign of respiratory distress. She hasn't layed in a while but it's moulting season and getting colder so most my hens aren't laying very well. All the others seem perfectly normal.
I've separated her from the others and given her sugar water and food. She eats a bit and loves the water but then wants to sleep.
Any ideas? I'm at a loss.

Those are symptoms of serious bacterial infection. Try to get hold of an oral antibiotic and start her on it asap. If we knew what country and/or state you live in, we might be able to help you find the antibiotic.

Those are symptoms of serious bacterial infection. Try to get hold of an oral antibiotic and start her on it asap. If we knew what country and/or state you live in, we might be able to help you find the antibiotic.
Oh no! I live near Seattle, WA

Your state may prohibit purchase of animal antibiotics so you need to check on that. Your best best is to call around to pet stores and ask for pigeon antibiotics or fish antibiotics. Tractor Supply often carries fish amoxycillin. The dose is 250mg per day for ten days. If this is an infection, you should see noticeable improvement in24 to 48 hours.

Your state may prohibit purchase of animal antibiotics so you need to check on that. Your best best is to call around to pet stores and ask for pigeon antibiotics or fish antibiotics. Tractor Supply often carries fish amoxycillin. The dose is 250mg per day for ten days. If this is an infection, you should see noticeable improvement in24 to 48 hours.
Thank you!

My natural solutions...

I'm wondering if a probiotic or activated charcoal could help. If you use both I wouldn't recommend that they are used at the same time. Myself, I use my yogurt and fermented feed in the morning and charcoal in the afternoon

Do you use acv in their water? If so i wouldn't use the acv, at the same time of day as the probiotic. (I found this information out from a good friend here on BYC)

From the little I know we cannot always see the worms. I've just purchased a plant called wormwood which apparently this particular plant is said too be helpful as deterrent against some worms, same said for garlic, on rare occasions.

Lastly I like to top their water up with a little apple cider vinegar at night at least 3 times a week

I hope she's is better soon :)

Back
Top Bottom