Help! Can't fix splayed leg on 2-day-old chick!

CHardcastle

Hatching
Dec 1, 2020
I'm desperate for help. I have a 2-day-old silkie, and she was the ONLY chick to hatch out of a dozen! She has one splayed leg/ spraddle leg (not both) and I can't get it to stay under her. When I try tethering her legs together with a bandaid, she can't walk or stand at all. Without the bandaid, she can at least stand/ sit up. She sort of hobbles around, so she can move in the brooder, but certainly not well. But she can't move AT ALL if I bind her legs to correct the spraddle. She also can't seem to figure out how to drink or eat the chick starter on her own (she's probably too busy trying to figure out how to walk), so I'm going to have to dropper feed her. What do I give her in the dropper? Egg yolk? What do I do? I have to make sure this chick survives, because she's our only baby-- Our tiny little Christmas miracle. Thank you in advance for any help.

Here is a link to chick chairs. https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/versions-of-chick-chairs-please.1166308/ Make one, then install the hobble. Place the chick in the chair for half an hour at a time so it can eat and learn to balance upright. It's a matter of training its brain to control its legs. Do not go away and leave the chick in the chair unattended, though.

When the chick isn't in the chair, sprinkle the dry chick feed on the floor around it. It will see the food and start eating. Place water with some marbles or pebbles in it in a small shallow dish so it can drink. The small rocks in the water will keep the chick from crawling into it and drowning.

Here is a link to chick chairs. https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/versions-of-chick-chairs-please.1166308/ Make one, then install the hobble. Place the chick in the chair for half an hour at a time so it can eat and learn to balance upright. It's a matter of training its brain to control its legs. Do not go away and leave the chick in the chair unattended, though.

When the chick isn't in the chair, sprinkle the dry chick feed on the floor around it. It will see the food and start eating. Place water with some marbles or pebbles in it in a small shallow dish so it can drink. The small rocks in the water will keep the chick from crawling into it and drowning.

Yes, I already gave her the waterer with the marbles, showed her the water, showed her the food, sprinkled the food in front of her-- She doesn't eat or drink on her own. I will look into the chair, though, thank you!

So, after doing some additional research, I suspect the chick may have a slipped tendon, not a splayed leg. She doesn't really put any weight on it, and when she does, it's on her knee joint, not the foot.

Try this:
Hold your left hand out, palm up, fingers toward the right, in front of your chest. Lay the chick's belly in your left hand, feet pointing back toward your body, overhanging your pinky finger/palm. Grasp the feet and legs between your right thumb and forefinger.
Slowly lower your left hand like you're going to pitch a soft ball and let the bird dangle for just a few seconds. Twist your wrist outward, and the bird's reaction should be to lift its head and body upward toward your hand. Keep your hand under, but not touching. When it does, you can re-grab the body.
This will sometimes "reset" a slipped hip or knee joint. It won't hurt the chick. It may work. It may not if the injury has set.

Back
Top Bottom