1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

HELP! Can't keep my guineas off of the front porch!!!

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by genna, Aug 7, 2009.

1. genna

genna New Egg

Aug 7, 2009
    Hello There, I am wondering if someone/anyone can tell me how to keep my guineas off of my front porch and away from the back door. Have 2 acres and they would rather hang out on the front porch or talk to the cat on my sunporch in the back of the house...
    I have 6 young birds and I'm ready to get rid of them.. LOL

Only got them about 5 months ( as keets ) ago for tick and other insect control which they do well. But they won't free range away from the house

Love them dearly but they are making me pull my hair out... LOL

Genna

2. eaganchickens

eaganchickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 21, 2008
    Eagan,MN
    [​IMG] from MN!

3. Imp

Imp All things share the same breath- Chief Seattle

[​IMG] from Washington

Fence off the porch

Fencing off the birds won't help with the bug control.

Put a big dog on the porch. [​IMG]

Imp- Sorry no great ideas. Tough one. Good luck

Wait had a flash- Garden hose with one of those motion sensor sprinklers for predator. just need to remember to turn it off when company comes.

4. hikerchick

hikerchick Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 6, 2009
    Dover, PA
    I can't give you any advice but if it is any consolation to you my neighbor got two different batches of 30 guineas and was never able to even keep them on her property. She lost all 60 of them because they wandered off and were probably killed by predators.

So you must be doing something right.

5. b.hromada

b.hromada Flock Mistress

I don't own guineas. But I think like Imp said, the motion detector sprinkler may work. [​IMG] Good luck. [​IMG] from S. Florida!

6. hikerchick

Apr 6, 2009
    Dover, PA
    I do have guineas but they have just started free ranging. They are sticking close to the coop.

Anyway, at my house, they would have to fight with the goats and chickens for a space on the deck.

7. BluegrassSeramas

BluegrassSeramas Serama Savvy

Aug 25, 2008
    Central Kentucky
    [​IMG] from Central KY.

If you get a good answer, let me know. Everyone hangs out on my porch, including the turkey.
    We have to spray it off all the time, lol!

I think they know there is food in here!

8. hikerchick

Apr 6, 2009
    Dover, PA
    my deck is my compost collection site.

9. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    I've never had guineas -- would love to, but others who live here object. But I don't see why you can't train them away. Put the feed away from the house, offer treats away from the house, etc. Walk in the area you want them to hang out, and toss them scratch, or whatever they like. You could block off the porch, but that isn't going to teach them where the ticks and other good bugs are.

10. ssgreer1

ssgreer1 Out Of The Brooder

Apr 2, 2013
    Middle Tennessee
    I can't believe all the genius people on this site and no one has figured out how to keep them off the dang porch. [​IMG] I too am tired of my husband nagging me because "my birds" won't stay off the porch. HELP!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by