Help! Catch the Rooster

chickendoodle

In the Brooder
12 Years
Aug 20, 2007
Beaufort S.C.
I went my my feed store and was told I should treat all the chickens with Duramycin-10.They are not free range and there life depends on it due to my dogs.Catch has 4 hens he lives with. None of them have a problem with there comb.Now how long do we have to wait before using the eggs if they all get the Duramycin-10?Also how much do I give them and is it for 7 days or 14 days? The package is a powder (6.4oz) and has to be mixed.

Last edited:
Catch has some purple on his crown.I don't know what it is.I am very new at this.He is by himself now and not happy.Is it something like a virus? None of his hens have it.I thought if it is a virus antibiotic medication won't help.Antibiotics kill bacteria right?

Last edited:
my roo gets some purple coloring on his comb once in a while and I think it is just from the heat because it goes away later in the evening. Then somedays he doesn't have it at all. Hope that helps.

Another feedstore idiot telling you to use drugs when they are not called for. I am so tired of them doing that to people. Sounds like he does NOT need antibiotics at all. The comb is like a thermostat and changes colors sometimes.

Sometimes the roo's combs can turn purple if they are lower in blood circulation there. Heat in day with panting or cold weather can cause it. DO NOT MEDICATE! That will be worse for your birds.

It is called "Selling". The clerk is more interested in keeping his job than in the health of your livestock. People are clerks in feed stores because they didn't go to Veterinary School. That is not to say the clerk doesn't know anything about animal health, just that if you want reliable information, get it from a vet. You only get what you pay for in this world.

Rufus

Antibiotics DO NOT treat viral infections.
Antibiotics treat bacterial pathogens
Antivirals are for viral pathogens.

Bacteria and Virii are entirely different entities.....

The needless useage of antibiotics when not warrented/ and not taking the full course of medication is the cause of drug resistant strains in the human population.

MRSA is a case in point.

Read and research before you act.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom