Help change laws in Norman, Ok

Freebieroo

Hatching
8 Years
Mar 27, 2011
I live in Norman, Ok and I need some help. I am looking in to getting the chicken laws changed. If you live in Norman and own chickens I would like your support. I recently found out that I have 10 days to get rid of my chickens because their enclosure if 95 ft away from the neighbors dwellings instead of 100 ft even though this particular neighbor loves my chickens and does not care. I am just now starting to look into other city's codes so if you live in a nearby city and you are allowed to own chickens if you could inform me of your city's chicken laws that would be very helpful too. I will also be talking with city board members this week about getting the topic put on the agenda. Thank-you

If it's only a 5' difference, could you look into getting a variance? Especially since that neighbor loves your chickens- get them to write a letter of support or call whoever you would have to deal with (or both actually). Is there no way for you to move it those 5'?

I am not able to move the chicken coop because that would make the distance not long enough to the other neighbor's house. As for a complaint, we are unsure if there was a complaint or where it came from (we are waiting to talk to the city officials tomorrow). However my chickens are very quite and are always taken care of just like my other 2 pets (cat and dog). As for getting special permission, the city has a very open/ broad law covering all domestic animals excluding dogs and cats. Here is what the city ordinance for Norman Ok looks like for fowl/chicken.

Except as provided otherwise, all animals commonly known as domesticated farm animals may be kept and maintained in any of the City's zoning districts only so long as:
(1)
The provisions of Chapter 22 of this Code pertaining thereto are complied with;
(2)
Such animals are maintained on land upon which the owner or occupant resides;
(3)
Such animals maintained on single-family, two-family and multi-family districts are not permitted closer than:
[a]
Twenty-five (25) feet to a lot line upon which is situated an inhabited dwelling, nor

One hundred (100) feet to any dwelling other than the owner's;
(4)
The owner or occupant of the land upon which such animals are kept and maintained erects and maintains a suitable barrier sufficient to insure compliance with the above distance requirements.

I live in Norman, Ok and I need some help. I am looking in to getting the chicken laws changed. If you live in Norman and own chickens I would like your support. I recently found out that I have 10 days to get rid of my chickens because their enclosure if 95 ft away from the neighbors dwellings instead of 100 ft even though this particular neighbor loves my chickens and does not care. I am just now starting to look into other city's codes so if you live in a nearby city and you are allowed to own chickens if you could inform me of your city's chicken laws that would be very helpful too. I will also be talking with city board members this week about getting the topic put on the agenda. Thank-you
here is a link for the petition... good to sign and fight for back yard chickens!!

http://www.thepetitionsite.com/1/allow-urban-chickens-in-norman-ok/

It is a bit later now 2019 but we have serama and bantam chickens in the middle of norman and take great care of them. Some neighbor reported us before we found a home for a louder bantam roo. The city laws only allow four hens and no roos. Well hens need roos! Our serama roo is not a loud crower and we have had him a while before some neighbor reported us. We have neighbors whose dogs bark all night long and loud neighbors who party out in their backyard most weekends. So how would i go about changing the laws in norman okla to be more lenient on chickens?? Our seramas are about a third of the size of a full sized chicken. Our chickens are spoiled rotten and taken very good care of.

Back
Top Bottom