Help change ordance in Iowa 52641

Bigsmc

In the Brooder
Jun 12, 2023
Hello all I am new here. Wanting to start a small flock but I don't believe my city allows if they do its only on edge of town. I live in Henry County Iowa 52641. Can any and all Iowa flocks that are inside different city's and town give me their city's rules to keep there flocks. Also any and all help/info/guidance to get this rule/ordnance changed in my town would also be great!! Thank you all so much

Hello all I am new here. Wanting to start a small flock but I don't believe my city allows if they do its only on edge of town. I live in Henry County Iowa 52641. Can any and all Iowa flocks that are inside different city's and town give me their city's rules to keep there flocks. Also any and all help/info/guidance to get this rule/ordnance changed in my town would also be great!! Thank you all so much
Step one, I am not a lawyer.
Two, I am from Michigan, not Iowa.

So, I was bored. Just for fun I did a cursory review of the City of Mount Pleasant Iowa code of ordinances. I’ve done this, more in depth for my township multipul times. Using both the terms chicken and fowl.

https://library.municode.com/search?stateId=15&clientId=12106&searchText=Chicken

I saw no restrictions on keeping chickens. There were some considerations. They can’t “run at large” (no free ranging), and their enclosure must be 50’ from basically anything else. There are very vague sanitation requirements which could easily be interpreted to make your life difficult. The worst though is the nose ordinance. Section 4-15. Chickens, even hens, can be noisy and That one is loose to the point it could easily be a problem if your neighbors don’t like you…

Tl:dr-I’m not a lawyer, I don’t know where you got your recommendations from, I saw nothing in your city ordinance banning chickens. Take it for what it’s worth.

Back
Top Bottom