Help! Chick accident!

bobwhitequails

In the Brooder
5 Years
Aug 5, 2014
So somehow my cat managed to get through my door and knock my quail from his box on my desk. I came home to him chirping when he heard my voice and he was under a cabinet. I don't know how long he was under there. He is filthy but I know you shouldn't get them wet. When he tries to walk around he stumbles, but that may be because of shock or dirt on his feet. I tried to give him water but he just fell asleep. I don't think he is injured because when I hold him he doesn't seem to be in pain. But my question is why is he stumbling, how can I get the dirt off of him, and will the shock be too much? He has also been making a weird grating/clicking noise in the back of his throat, what is that? Please respond ASAP!!

Last edited:
Glad to hear the situation is improving. If he is still too dirty for you, you could use a damp paper towel on the worst areas then a hair dryer set on LOW to dry it. Be sure your hands are on the quail so you can feel the temp of the air yourself and not let it get too hot. They dry pretty fast, but I have not owned quail, only chickens. A friend with ducks used to blow-dry her ducklings all the time. Hope all turns out fine!

Back
Top Bottom