Help! Chick cant hold her neck up!

Just a kid

Songster
7 Years
Mar 7, 2016
Hi! Four days ago we had a really bad rain storm, because I wasn't home the chicks were left outside. When I did get home I brought the chicks in and they were soaked. After a couple hours it stopped raining and the chicks dried out, so I brought them back outside. For the next couple days it was windy and cold so they spent quite a bit of time inside. Since then one of my chicks, Narco, a 12 week old white crested polish, has been very sleepy. She would stand outside and just fall asleep. At first I though that since she was still a baby she was still growing so thats why she was sleeping so much, but then she started sleeping for hours on hours. This morning I let my chicks out and she was standing in the box with her head on the ground peeping. Right now she is sitting in a separate box inside my house. every once in a while she starts peeping turning around and trying to pick up her head. I think she might be dehydrated but she wont drink any water. She just stands with her head on the ground, her wings just hanging there, and feathers all puffed out. I gave her some watermelon to sneak in some water and she really liked it. Should I continue? am I doing something Wrong? anything is appreciated!
-Just a Kid

every once in a while she starts peeping turning around and trying to pick up her head. I think she might be dehydrated but she wont drink any water. She just stands with her head on the ground, her wings just hanging there, and feathers all puffed out.

Can you post some photos of her poop?
A video of her actions would be good as well.

Dehydration is a possibility. Try to encourage her to drink. Watermelon is o.k. but it's not as good as water. If you have some poultry vitamins add them to her water.

Thank you for responding so quickly! While I was recording I found that her vent was covered in a yellowish poop. I was going to try to wipe this off with some warm water do you think this is a good idea?

Thank you for responding so quickly! While I was recording I found that her vent was covered in a yellowish poop. I was going to try to wipe this off with some warm water do you think this is a good idea?

Yes, get her cleaned up. Work a little warm soapy water into the bum feathers if it's stuck to them.

You may want to get some Corid from your feed store, just in case she possibly has coccidiosis. It could just be dehydration, but she sounds very sick. Dip her beak into water, or hold a small cup or spoon up to her beak to encourage drinking. Electrolytes would be good to use until you get Corid or decide to wait. Coccidiosis symptoms include runny poops with mucus or sometimes blood, sleepiness, weakness, and refusal to eat. Sometimes it is hard to tell exactly what is wrong, but treating with Corid is not harmful to her or the others. Dosage is 1 1/2 tsp of the powder or 2 tsp of the liquid Corid, per gallon of water for 7 days as the only source of water, and change it daily.

I recently had one of my chicks pass away from coccidiosis. Her symptoms were like your chicks, and I would give her electrolytes or Gatorade. If she doesn't drink it on her own, I would drip a little onto her beak with your finger. See should drink it from that. If/When you get Corrid,you will have to treat the whole flock. Coccidiosis is contagious.

thank you everyone for responding! I gave her a little bath of warm water and dish soap and clean out all of the poop. I am going to buy some electrolytes and put them in her water. I will keep er separated from the rest of my chicks. After the bath she was seeming much better, but just tired. I've been giving her water and watermelon. After I finished her bath our hairdryer broke so I just dried her as best I could by hand, but now she is shaking. Do you know of anything that will help?

If my chick does have coccidiosis Where can I buy Corid? I've been looking online but I'm not seeing anything. Does anybody know where you can buy Corid In Boise Idaho or surrounding areas?

You can try Tractor Supply or your local feed store.
For online, try Amazon, Jefferspet, Ebay, etc.

This is what it looks like - liquid or powder.

zoom.jpg

Thank you for the help. I have contacted our local bird center and asked if they have any. I will check all of those websites as well.

Back
Top Bottom