HELP chick in need !!

Its going to want the shell off so thats normal. Let's see what it looks like tomorrow morning. She might be able to start removing pieces of the shell then, but I would wait a bit. More pics tomorrow would be helpful.
I’ll get more tomorrow for sure !! Thank you everyone !!

So this morning, shell is off most egg is absorbed, he’s very weak but chirps when she comes in the room and will take small amounts of water . She tried standing him up , he did for a bit , I advised not to stand him let him be for the most part . No interest in food . I’m asking for a photo now and will post asap

Ok BIG change here it’s a duck , she said chick so I assumed chicken !!! But here he is this morning.

Attachments

• 183EE757-A8A2-4B47-99D7-2F3A1980D9FE.jpeg
    183EE757-A8A2-4B47-99D7-2F3A1980D9FE.jpeg
    483.3 KB · Views: 7
  • D4567ED9-A6A0-429F-94D1-61437581863F.jpeg
    D4567ED9-A6A0-429F-94D1-61437581863F.jpeg
    76.1 KB · Views: 8
Ok BIG change here it’s a duck , she said chick so I assumed chicken !!! But here he is this morning.
Just keep it clean and dry. It should close up. It may not be interested in food the first 24 hrs or more. Use flock raiser crumbles. Pick some up and grind it between your fingers to make the crumbles smaller and let it see. You can take your finger and poke the food to mimic eating. Good luck.

It may not be interested in food the first 24 hrs or more.

If the duckling waits a day or so before it starts eating, that can be just fine.
It has just been absorbing the yolk sac, and that has enough nutrients to last for several days.

(It is fine if the duckling wants to eat right away, but also fine if it does not want to eat at first. No need to worry either way.)

Duck is doing really well , all absorbed and feisty . So hoping , not super interested in food yet

If it doesn't start eating on its own after 3 or so days of hatch, I have used the below product with success during critical times:

EmerAid Intensive Care Omnivore​

Make it into a paste and drizzle it off of a spoon or popscicle stick into a shallow bowl so it sees movement. Your friend might want to have some of this onhand just in case. You can soak the crumbles in water and add some of them to this as well.

Keep the cage spotless and the baby duck dry as mentioned above. Wash hands before handling it. Infection is a concern as the yolk finishes absorbing (and after in some cases).

Good luck! Glad to see it is doing a bit better!

Back
Top Bottom