HELP! Chick is hatching but there is blood.

It not unusual when a chick hatches to have the membrane sorta attached by the umbilical cord. Hatching is hard work. It's probly resting. It's also not unusual 2 see a bit of blood. How is ur humidity? Best thing is to let the chick rest 4 awhile.

I know this is going to sound odd to some of you but it saved one of my chicks lives. I had one from my very first hatch puncture a blood vessal and I didn't want to loose it. I have cockatiels and I was told if they ever broke a blood feather to put baking soda on it. So when I saw what happened I carefully removed some of the shell as not to rupture anything else. Then I applied a good amount of baking soda and kept an eye on it and low and behold it stopped the bleading and my chick hatched out just fine. Plus bleeding stopped quickly.

What happend with mine is that it made a hole inthe air sack last night and today tried making the hole bigger but when I checked again it rotated a little down and pipped a hole in the shell and I can see a stain of blood on it why did this happen???

Im new. So im sorry if im posting in wrong area? If been dealing with alot of turkeys pipping then drying out and dying. I built my own coolerbator. Same design i used years ago for my ducks. I finally had another turkey pip this morning. Only, he or she pipped on small side of egg. I was scared to loose another, so i helped. Careful not to disturb the bottom of egg where egg sack is. I placed he or she back in bator on damp cloth. It rolled over and rest of egg flipped off. But, its still attached and i can see yolk. Its been in the bator all day. I just moved it into brooder with shell still attached because it wasnt drying. Still chirping and moving well. Im just nervous that it hasnt absorbed rest of yolk and some blood. Any insight would be great. Thanks and i enjoy all of the good info!

Im new. So im sorry if im posting in wrong area? If been dealing with alot of turkeys pipping then drying out and dying. I built my own coolerbator. Same design i used years ago for my ducks. I finally had another turkey pip this morning. Only, he or she pipped on small side of egg. I was scared to loose another, so i helped. Careful not to disturb the bottom of egg where egg sack is. I placed he or she back in bator on damp cloth. It rolled over and rest of egg flipped off. But, its still attached and i can see yolk. Its been in the bator all day. I just moved it into brooder with shell still attached because it wasnt drying. Still chirping and moving well. Im just nervous that it hasnt absorbed rest of yolk and some blood. Any insight would be great. Thanks and i enjoy all of the good info!
First off, welcome to BYC. You have managed to tag on to a really old thread though. Try copying your post and starting a new thread in the 'hatching and incubating eggs' forum. That way folks will be notified and available to help you. Just click on 'start a new thread' and go from there.
As to advice right now for your chick, all you can do now is wait for that yolk to finish absorbing. Keeping the chick in half the shell and then in a small cup to keep the chick stabilized will help. This also will prevent any other chicks you may have in the bator from messing with her.

me too! I need help! I have a chick in an egg, that I didn't know about, and the shell is really broken! my daughter found it. I don't know if it was pipping, or if the shell cracked by accident. I'm sitting with the egg in my hand, no incubator, no brooding mama in sight! chick is still breathing and moving, shell all broken, but chick still in the membrane. there was some blood, a drop rolled down the shell, a small dried drop, and looks like a little in the membrane. Please HELP!

Im new to this whole thing and can't think of any solutions other than following what the others said above about the cup thing but I'm not the best person to listen to about this. Anyway good luck with the chick and I hope it ends up well for you and the lil baby.

You assisted to early. If there is still your attached, then u assisted b4 the chick had a chance to absorb yoke. Chicks pip up to 24hrs b4 they absorb yoke. They do this to strengthen thier lungs in preparation to hatch.plus it helps absorb yoke. Once a chick pops it can be 24,/48hrs b4 hatch. Humidity is crucial. Give chick a few drops of nutri- drench every couple hrs.that may help. Many times if they have not absorbed the yoke b4 hatch, they do not survive.

me too! I need help! I have a chick in an egg, that I didn't know about, and the shell is really broken! my daughter found it. I don't know if it was pipping, or if the shell cracked by accident. I'm sitting with the egg in my hand, no incubator, no brooding mama in sight! chick is still breathing and moving, shell all broken, but chick still in the membrane. there was some blood, a drop rolled down the shell, a small dried drop, and looks like a little in the membrane. Please HELP!
Can you post a pic if the egg? It's hard to tell by your description if it's in the process of hatching or actually cracked. What type of chick?

Back
Top Bottom