HELP! Chick lost in basement! Update: We found her!

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by AnnaLease, May 27, 2011.

1. AnnaLease

AnnaLease Chillin' With My Peeps

May 10, 2011
    One of our 4 or 5 week old BO chicks got out of the brooder and is somewhere in the basement and we can't find her! Besides dismantling the ENTIRE basement, is there any ways of finding her or luring her? She won't be able to get back in the brooder because I now have it baracaded so the rest can't get out. How long will she survive room temp? She could have been out for several hours. Any advice?

Last edited: May 28, 2011
  2. Anianna

Anianna Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 28, 2010
    N/E of Richmond, VA
    Do you have a call when you give treats?

3. lavenderlakefarm

lavenderlakefarm Out Of The Brooder

May 11, 2011
    Put some food and water near the brooder. Most of the time they will come back to where they hear their buddies peeping.

4. terrilhb

terrilhb Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 11, 2010
    Georgia
    Oh NO. I hope and pray you find it. [​IMG] That is terrible. Hope you find it soon. Please let us know.

5. teach1rusl

teach1rusl Love My Chickens

At 4-5 weeks they should be fairly well feathered out, so I doubt she'll freeze to death in the basement. I would leave a lamp out (even if just a regular bulb) close to the brooder, and maybe a little water and feed. If she's down there, I would think she'll head that way if she's able. Other than that, just listening for her cheeps...

6. AnnaLease

May 10, 2011
    Anianna, you make me feel like a bad chick momma, because we haven't given them treats ever, we do hand feed them their chick feed sometimes, but we don't have a call.
    Lavender - will do.

7. Anianna

Anianna Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 28, 2010
    N/E of Richmond, VA
    Quote:Not my intention at all!! There's nothing wrong with not having given treats, I simply figured it was a possibility that you might not have thought of it in your desperation to find her. The brain shuts down a bit in such situations sometimes. I don't give treats often and mine aren't likely to come if I called them with a treat call, either.

8. AnnaLease

May 10, 2011
    I set out food, water, and a lamp by the kiddie pool. Will let you know...

9. buckboy101

buckboy101 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 26, 2011
    Can you hear her chirps?

10. Mommysongbird

Mommysongbird Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 17, 2011
    Small Town, Virginia
    Oh no, hope you find her soon. I don't know what I would do if one of our got lost in the house, which I am sure my dogs would flush out.

Keep us posted and let us know what happens.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by