HELP!!!.....CHICK MAKING NOISE....PIPPING FOR A LOOOONG TIME

Thanks for replying everyone!

It`s been about 22 to 23 hours since I saw the first pip and now I dont hear anything.

Is this common or are they gone?

I just had a hatch in the last 3 days with 4 to go....& one was pipped for almost 2 days! A bunch of the other chicks hatched before this little one but it did finally hatch, it just took forever & it was fine! Good luck!
smile.png

Well.....GOOD news.............a few hatched out today!!

How long do I leave them in the incubator?OMG they are so TINY!
Also, is it OK to use a 10 gallon aquarium as a brooder?
What do I use as bedding in the aquarium?

Any help would be gladly accepted!
Thanks!

I don't mean this to sound smart but maybe you could read a good book or something. It might help take your mind off it for a while. And remember it is harder on them.

Congrats on the ones that are out. Leave them until they are dry. The brooder is OK but someone else (don't remember who) said to put paper down first to help with clean up then cedar bedding.

I beleive your are supposed to use pine shavings not cedar. Cedar is toxic to chickens. Use paper towels on top so that the babies will have control of there legs. Its easy for them to slide and they could end up spraddled legged. If you use an aquarium for a brooder, place the light at one end just in case they get to hot they can move away from the heat. The temp needs to be 95 degrees the first week and then drop down 5 degrees each week there after. You can sprinkle the medicated chick starter on the paper towels to get them started eating, plus some in a shallow bowl. There water bowl needs to be shallow also and I put marbles in mine to keep them from drowning and to stay dry in case they fall in. You can use small pebbles if you don't have marbles. You will want to keep the shaving out of there water. If you don't have shavings, paper towels will work for a few days. Have all the eggs hatched yet? If not you can wait until they hatch. The chicks can make it for three days on there yolk sacks so don't freak out and think they are starving. Whatever you do make sure the chicks are good and dry before removing them from the bator. Congrats on your hatch and ask if you have any more questions. Don't forget-we need pics.

Back
Top Bottom