Help! Chick might be being pecked at?!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Brwnsuga, Apr 26, 2017.

1. Brwnsuga

Brwnsuga New Egg

Apr 26, 2017
    [​IMG][/IMG]
    [​IMG]
    We are fist time chick raisers and came home to find one of our chicks with this on her shoulder area... keeping the bedding clean and dry which is why we suspect pecking. Anyone seen anything like it? Haven't seen any of the other chicks peck at her at all. She does mess with the area a lot though. No other symptoms. We have 5 chicks total.

2. BYCforlife

BYCforlife Overrun With Chickens

Kind of hard to see, but that looks like it has been pecked to me. I hear they do that when they are stressed. Are they showing the usual signs of contentment?

1 person likes this.
  3. Wyorp Rock

Wyorp Rock Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Sep 20, 2015
    Southern N.C. Mountains
    Hi [​IMG] Welcome To BYC

I agree with @BYCforlife it does look like a picking wound. You can apply some Blu Kote or Pick No More to the wound to help it heal.

How much space do you have in your brooder?

4. Brwnsuga

Brwnsuga New Egg

Apr 26, 2017
    Thank you! We have them in a large metal horse trough.The girls do seem overall very happy. My husband thinks now that she may have been pooped on and pecked the area away herself. We live in Maine so they should be able to be moved into the coop in another week or so.

Last edited: Apr 27, 2017

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by