help- chick pecking its own bottom

erussell

Hatching
10 Years
Feb 21, 2009
I got 9 chicks yesterday from a local farm, they are 2 weeks old. One of the barred rocks is pecking its own bottom, it is bare about the size of a nickel. I have also noticed some rust-colored poo, not sure if it is blood or not. They were not on medicated feed for the first two weeks, so I am going to get some at agway this morning just to be safe.

Does anyone know what the pecking of the butt might be a sign/symptom of? Otherwise that chick as well as the others look pretty good, they are responsive and walking around, eating and drinking well as far as I can see. I have 9 chicks in a box about 3x5 with wood shavings, a few small branches for roosting, clean & elevated food & water, temp under the light is about 85-88.

thanks!

Hi and Welcome to BYC!
frow.gif

I've had new chicks that would peck their own bottoms before if they had "pasty butt", so you may want to check for that.

Here's a picture of what pasty butt looks like:

1560_p5181995.jpg

If that is what is causing the problem, I just take a warm, damp wash cloth or paper towel and hold it on the dried pooh until it softens and I can remove it. Next, I dry the chicks bottom and use another paper towel to wipe its bottom with mineral oil or baby oil to help keep the pooh from sticking.

Hope this is some help!

Dawn

Back
Top Bottom