HELP chick pipped needs help i think

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by DAVINAKEITH, Mar 22, 2009.

1. DAVINAKEITH

DAVINAKEITH Out Of The Brooder

Mar 15, 2009
    my chick pipped yesterday at 2:30pm and still today he has only broke off a little piece of shell and acts like he just keeps working in the same spot not getting anywhere is this normal

2. Katy

Katy Flock Mistress

It can take them 24+ hours from the time they pip to when they start zipping. I wouldn't do anything yet except leave the lid on and give it time to do it on it's own.

3. DAVINAKEITH

Mar 15, 2009
    you can see the chick working so hard but getting no where it seems

4. Skitz

Skitz Skitz15k

Nov 11, 2008
    Texas
    Quote:Katy is right it takes them sometimes about 24hrs to hatch completely

5. chicklady63

chicklady63 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 10, 2009
    Hi,
    I would keep a close watch on it & really make certain the area it has chipped away is enough that it can breathe. I have two standard Brahma chicks that I just assisted earlier this morning as they were pipping at the small end of the egg. (I've never ahd that happen before so it was a new experience for me after all these years.) I don't believe they would have made it without my help. They're up now, fluffing out & looking fine. (They have huge feet). [​IMG] I know others feel much differently about assisted hatching, but I have done it more than once. I've never loss a chick that I did that for though it's certainly possible if you aren't very careful. I have lost some that I didn't , & maybe would have if they had hatched anyway. Who knows? Sometimes it's a gamble. It may not be the time yet - just watch, but sometimes it is necessary in my opinion. I can tell you are concerned. I know the feeling! There are some videos on YouTube you might view if you're interested.

6. DAVINAKEITH

Mar 15, 2009
    The chick finally hatched he is so cute how long before he is dry none of the other eggs have even pipped yet how long to i wait for them before i take them out [​IMG]

7. SundownWaterfowl

SundownWaterfowl Overrun With Chickens

Quote:leave them in the incubator until the hatch is done. they can stay in the incubator for up to 24 hours.

8. Skitz

Skitz Skitz15k

Nov 11, 2008
    Texas
    it will take them 4 hrs to dry. happy hatching! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by