Help, chick trying zip but beak is deformed. Edit: Chick has hatched.

quail kid kid

In the Brooder
8 Years
Mar 13, 2011
Hello,

Well several quail chicks have already hatched but there seems to be a problem with one.
The egg had a hole and when looking at it I saw that only the lower part of the beak was visible so I put the incy in the bathroom where it was hot and steamy. I cracked a bit of egg and saw that the top part of the beak was contrary to the lower part.

Basically, the lower part is at the right and the upper part is on the left!?
Is there anything I can do to straighten it out, please?

Edit: He/She has htached but the beak is still deformed but looks less. Is there a way to straigthen it out?

Last edited:
Sorry about your little chick. It sounds like cross beak and there isn't a whole lot you can do. It may get worse as it gets older. As long as it can eat on its own it should be fine, but if it gets really bad it might not be able to eat enough. Some folks have cross beak birds that live a fairly normal life with a little extra attention and deep food dishes and waterers. It is probably genetic, so you will not want to breed this bird. Some people also file the beak back some to make it easier on the bird as it grows out and gets in the way. Good luck.
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom