Help!! Chick with dislocated leg

GAChicken Chick

Songster
7 Years
Dec 30, 2012
Toccoa, GA
At work one of our partridge rocks was basically flopping around and I checked its leg and it looked like either spraddle or dislocated leg. None of us could dispatch it so I brought it home. After 3 days in a spraddle hobble it is getting worse, it can stand and run around with the hobble on but now I know its a dislocation because the leg twists almost all the way around
hit.gif
Is there any hope for anything? These chicks came in on Monday so its about 5 days old. It's gait has gotten worse, its now hobbling instead of walking. Should I get someone to put it out of its misery? I just can't kill a chick
hit.gif

I have a leg problem with my chick atm, it has been dropped from a height by a hawk, and keeps wobbling and splaying its legs. No breakages on mine, just torn ligaments. I give mine a big dose of paracetamol before examining it this morning as it was in pain. I haven't got the heart to dispatch mine either! SO i would give yours a dose of paracetamol (if it overdoses it, no harm done really is there? At least it will be out of its misery) and then after you've given it some pain relief, try and click the dislocation back in if that's possible? Hope you sort it, good luck! keep us informed.

Last edited:
What's paracetamol? Is it available from Tractor Supply? I know the feed stores around here don't have it. I keep feeling the various joints and they feel exactly like the normal leg, but the leg twists around. Starting to think its a birth defect, I think the chick came in like this on the truck but when we count them into the bins the others usually don't pay attention like I do. I'm not surprised the hatchery let something slip through though, they don't find and throw away every sickly chick. I hate it for this poor thing though.

and the leg goes back farther than this
We have two like this right now that hatched normal and recently developed this problem when we switched to a different brand of food. Dumor is what we switched to and we think the chicks might have a vit/min defficiency now. I was reading that leg problems are caused by a vitamin B12 and E defficiency. We are going to supplement with the little packets of vit/min supplement, hopefully that will do the trick. Otherwise, we are going to have to cull ours.
hmm.png

Back
Top Bottom