Help! Chick with growth

She started losing an ounce of weight everyday. She got down to 4oz at six weeks old. We felt it was better to not let her starve to death and eased the suffering.:hit
So sorry about your girl. You did the hardest, but also the most selfless thing a pet owner has to do. Sending you and your family grace and prayers.

She started losing an ounce of weight everyday. She got down to 4oz at six weeks old. We felt it was better to not let her starve to death and eased the suffering.:hit
I’m so very sorry!!! That’s so hard!! Had she lost her beak?

Update: the day after surgery she shook off her hardware. They went back in and tried a much quick and different approach. I got to see her yesterday and she’s doing well. Bright eyed and chirping. Even tried to fly. The Dr said the next 5 days are most important. If all goes well, her hardware can come off 2 weeks from her surgery date 🙏🏻

Hopefully she does ok! Our girl lost too much weight, sadly.
Good thoughts and energy going your way.
I’m so sorry! It’s so hard! The loss of our furry and feathered family isn’t easy. They are so innocent and reliant upon us to make wise and thoughtful decisions on their behalf. We were personally concerned about weight loss and quality of life. We went into this saying we will not keep her alive for us but only if this repair is a real and feasible option. I would rather put her out of any pain than cause her to suffer. Something we shared with the Dr. The Dr felt like this was a viable option for her and the pain would only be after surgery where they could supply her with any pain meds needed. She looked so good yesterday and is bright eyed, chirping and active. I’m hoping this works. It seems like we’ll have a better idea in the next 7-10 days 🙏🏻 Will keep y’all updated. Thank you for the support and I hope our story will somehow benefit someone else in this group.

I'm following and rooting for Joy as well. I'm a first time chicken owner. I bought 16 baby chicks from Myers Hatchery. 15 hens, 1 rooster. I ordered 10 different breeds of baby chicks, 2 of those hen chicks being Frizzled Easter Eggers. With 1 of those Frizzled Easter Egger hens having the same exact issue. Her top beak is hooked down and I can see her tongue moving in her throat. We named her Ducky, because she reminded us of Ducky from kids movie "The Land Before Time". They hatched on August 28th. And turn 4 weeks today. She acts normal, other than her being smaller than the rest and the whole tongue issue. But being an Easter Egger, I don't know the birds genetics, and not sure how much genetics has to do with her size. Still not sure what to do about her issue. Vet bills and surgery sound really expensive. But we also don't want her suffering either.

I'm following and rooting for Joy as well. I'm a first time chicken owner. I bought 16 baby chicks from Myers Hatchery. 15 hens, 1 rooster. I ordered 10 different breeds of baby chicks, 2 of those hen chicks being Frizzled Easter Eggers. With 1 of those Frizzled Easter Egger hens having the same exact issue. Her top beak is hooked down and I can see her tongue moving in her throat. We named her Ducky, because she reminded us of Ducky from kids movie "The Land Before Time". They hatched on August 28th. And turn 4 weeks today. She acts normal, other than her being smaller than the rest and the whole tongue issue. But being an Easter Egger, I don't know the birds genetics, and not sure how much genetics has to do with her size. Still not sure what to do about her issue. Vet bills and surgery sound really expensive. But we also don't want her suffering either.
You’re in a tough situation, I’m sorry your bird has this issue, too. Hard to put a chicken through surgery, but you also don’t want them to suffer if it can be fixed. Keep us updated and know you’re not alone.

Thank you so much for asking about her! She’s actually hanging in there. It takes her a lot longer to eat food and drink water, but she’s holding her own. We have her scheduled for surgery on the 25th to trim up her beak and her tongue. She does not have enough space on her lower beak for her tongue so she is housing it in a pocket in her throat that has been created. I’m a little reluctant to disrupt some thing that’s working OK for now. I know she can’t live forever the way things are. But just trying to figure out the best decision for her. She’s literally like a pet. She’s so sweet!! 💛
Any update? We have the same thing going on with our 5 week old Easter egger. Curious if surgery worked or if she is still doing fine?

Back
Top Bottom