Help!!! Chick with no eyes???

Im going to try my best, I think if it wasnt ment to live it wouldnt have hatched all on its own. Its got a good sense of direction. When I talk to little ray charles ( what my husband calls him/her) it comes walking over and peeps. I gave it some water with a dropper but just took her out of the bator today so i didnt want to push it with food water just yet. Im hoping tomorrow i can get it to eat a little. Who knows what god has in store for this little one.

That's so sweet! Sure sounds like a promising little baby.. I sure hope he/she makes it! Some people sprinkle food on the bottom instead of a holder for food,so it might be a little asked for little ray Charles to find.

I have a one eyed rooster - does fine. I would definitely give no eyes a try too, but that is me. I take in all the animals like that
big_smile.png
Like you said, if it wasn't meant to live it wouldn't have hatched and it wouldn't be active. My daughter teaches all our chicks to eat by tapping. They don't even see her doing it and they move towards the sound.

Good luck to you and I have to say - good for you! Keep us posted!

http://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/aa204

31.Sign
: Malformations. Causes:

a.Improper egg storage.

b.Jarring of eggs or transporting large end down.

c.Heredity.

d.Nutritional deficiencies, e.g., biotin, riboflavin, zinc, or manganese.

e.Inadequate turning.

f.Improper egg orientation, e.g., small end up.

g.High or low incubator temperature.

h.Breeder diseases.

i.Inadequate ventilation or shells with low porosity or permeability.

I don't have any good advice at this point other than maybe look up websites for blind dogs/cats to get some ideas about how to handle the situation. That being said, you are truly a wonderful and kind-hearted person for giving this little baby a chance to live. Not many people would have room in their hearts for a blind chicken. Please continue to give us updates on his progress. I'll be rooting for both of you!

There's been a few threads about chicks born without eyes or born with vestiges or one small eye. If the chick is able to eat and drink and appears healthy, they sometimes will do OK.

ETA: I seem to remember one thread, recently, where the chick was mostly blind and had only one tiny little eye. It ended up being friends with another chicken who was very vocal and would follow her around to find food. It ended up doing fine.

Last edited:
I would give him/her a chance too. If the chick is that active and has the desire to live, why not? I would leave the peep in the brooder with the other chicks so maybe it will make buddies with another chick like the post above...if this happens, he/she will do very well and live out it's years as a happy feather-kid
smile.png
There have been cases of blind animals, such as horses, dogs, goats and even ducks where they get a buddy that they follow around by sound to food, water and just to walk around. They do very well and adapt! So, if he/she is thriving and strong, give it a chance! Just help it out until it gets a buddy for food and water direction. Also, don't change the location of the food and water...they will memorize where it is. Good luck!
hugs.gif

ETA: spelling
hide.gif

Last edited:
I think it is adorable. I would give it a chance. Like you said if it did not die hatching maybe God wants it to live. Good luck.
fl.gif

Back
Top Bottom