Help!!! Chick with no eyes???

I would probably not cull it. That's just how I am, always trying to help the handicapped ones fit in------that's why I drive a Specil-Ed school-bus, I guess.

Last edited:
Oh, boy. Cute chick, but what a shame! I guess I would see what would happen in time. If you cull it now, you won't know what would've happened. I would keep an eye on it to make sure it isn't suffering though.

Good luck with your choice! Keep us posted!
caf.gif

Personally, I would keep it. I've had part-blind chickens, and temporarily blind chickens, and they do okay, but it would have to be a pet. If It's possible that you couldn't pamper it all throughout its life, then end it now for its sake.

If you keep it, training it to know where to eat and drink isn't hard, btw. I used to let my blind roosters drink from a glass bowl, so they'd hear the 'clanging' noise if they hit the edge. And once they start eating (help by force-feeding for a while, is necessary) they tend to respond to the sound of feed falling.

I really just can't wrap my mind around the thought that everybody think's it's so cute !!!! like that is a reason to be cruel and give this chick the chance at a very hard life. And I am sure the shine will wear off when you realize how difficult it is for you to be an ever vigilant care giver and see how hard a life this chicken will have. And I am sure you won't inform us when you decide it's ultimate fate. Cruel...... it's just Cruel what your doing, with all do respect, I wish you luck.

AL

I have a year old blind buff cochin hen, she was born that way.

I keep her in a wire dog kennel where all the other birds can visit with her and keep the food ,grit ,oyster shells and water in the same place , a cinderblock turned on it's side for a roost and a she is very happy laying hen.

She is a great chick mom too when i have a few i always put them in with her and she mothers them just like her own.
I am hoping she turns broody some day i would like her to hatch peafowl eggs for me.

I have hundreds of chickens and could have culled her with no problems but i wanted to learn from her and understand how her life would be, i am not sorry for my decision ,she is a deliteful hen and has never seen an unhappy day in her life.

Well today the chick is 6 days old and we have had a breakthough! I actually saw the chick drink from the water dish!!!!! I use the herding method and herd it to the water and dip its beak, then herd it to the food and dip its beak. I dont move the feed/water dish at all cause I dont want it to get mixed up..I dont ever pick up the chick either since im sure that would be like putting a blindfold on us and spinning us around and saying ok wheres the bathroom..lol

I am going to try and get a video today of little ray drinking. Its the cutest thing i ever saw~
yippiechickie.gif

Back
Top Bottom