Help! Chick with umbilical cord covering his rear

icychicks

Hatching
Apr 23, 2017
I need some advice- I have a chick that obviously hatched early and it has its umbilical cord covering its butt. I'm worried that it will be the same as pasty butt and kill it. It's struggling already and I'm praying it can be saved. Any advice would be appreciated.

Here are some pics to help you get an idea of what I'm talking about.

I'll try to get some more pics.. he's moving and chirping but I'm worried about him. And I'm afraid to take the dried cord off and hurt him more.

Best I could get trying not to hurt him more...and to get him back in the incubator faster...

Should I wipe it completely off despite how powerful my it could take to get him back in the incubator? Or just a little at a time?

Do you have a brooder set up for it? It'd clean it up, towel dry to make it fluff up and let it rest in the brooder if you can. Will dry faster outside of the humid incubator. If it dries it's like cement and hard to clean off.

Thank you for the help. I'm not sure he will make it. I tried to put him in with the other chicks but he can't stand up well and won't open his eyes. I tried to give him some electrolytes and that perked him up but he is constantly distress chirping. I have him separated again but I'm worried that he hurting and won't make it. I did get the cord cleaned off though.

Back
Top Bottom