HELP! Chick with yolk sac still attached??

Rk024129

Chirping
5 Years
Feb 28, 2017
Please help! This chick hatched this morning, having not absorbed all of its yolk. I did my best to push what I could back into its navel, ligated and cut the rest off. The bit still hanging out started to dry, and I thought it would be okay. I went back to check on it after an hour or so and found more coming out (photo included). The navel has closed too much for me to be able to push it back in. What should I do?? I’ve been giving the chick electrolytes, keeping it in a clean space, and applying antibiotic ointment to the navel area.
17D47997-2CE5-4448-A7F2-838350484950.jpeg

Keep applying the antibiotic and keeping it clean for now. I'd keep him separate from other chicks so they don't peck at it. Hopefully it will dry up and on own in a few hours.

Keep applying the antibiotic and keeping it clean for now. I'd keep him separate from other chicks so they don't peck at it. Hopefully it will dry up and on own in a few hours.
Thank you for your response! I have it isolated right now. It’s very weak but I’m trying to keep up with electrolytes and antibiotic.

In the future, please don't cut or push anything! You can give it an infection or rupture the sac or cause the chick to bleed out. It needs to be allowed to absorb the rest of the yolk on its own - and it will - without anything being forced. Just separate the chick and let it be. As for this chick, keep doing what you're doing except trying to push or cut anything else. And keep it separate from the others until it heals, so they don't peck at it.

In the future, please don't cut or push anything! You can give it an infection or rupture the sac or cause the chick to bleed out. It needs to be allowed to absorb the rest of the yolk on its own - and it will - without anything being forced. Just separate the chick and let it be. As for this chick, keep doing what you're doing except trying to push or cut anything else. And keep it separate from the others until it heals, so they don't peck at it.
I have the same case. look alike. I wonder if the chick survived?

can you get a photo?
yes, the first photo is of the few hours after he hatched and now it looks much better
the second is from today .

he is sleepy but was drinking today and also some active and walking... he is with the mother as he screams so loud
the yolk almost gone. I put antibiotic cream on it every now and then..

I will get a closed up later on today on him.
1661517727878.png

Attachments

• WhatsApp Image 2022-08-24 at 5.55.56 PM.jpeg
    WhatsApp Image 2022-08-24 at 5.55.56 PM.jpeg
    82.3 KB · Views: 20
yes, the first photo is of the few hours after he hatched and now it looks much better

he is sleepy but was drinking today and also some active and walking... he is with the mother as he screams so loud

View attachment 3236292
Is he pooping normally? Is his vent looking clear?

View attachment 3236292
I’ve had a chick that looked just like that. He survived and grew into a beautiful big boy.

Back
Top Bottom