HELP! Chick won't stop scratching itself!

Silkiemama6

Chirping
Mar 15, 2021
I just recently picked up three baby chicks about five days ago. I noticed on the way home that one of my chicks was itching her head with her foot. I didn't think anything of it. The next day I noticed the itching got worse. I also noticed that she was itching her back by her wings with her beak. During this time, one of my other chicks has been pecking(on the eye) on the chick that had been itching herself. My other two chicks have been fine, and I haven't noticed them scratching at all. A few more days went by, and Biscuit (my itchy chick) has a very red and bleeding eye, and the down on her back by her wings is very this, and her skin is red. I don't know what to do. I haven't seen anything online about how to solve this or what I should do. Is my other chick pecking on Biscuit because she has a skin infection, or is she just an aggressive chick making matters worse? Please help. Thank you!

Any follow-up on this? Did you ever find out what it was? Mine are aggressively itching themselves on the butt, vent and top of legs but no signs of mites or lice anywhere so I’m confused.

Ive had this happen with chicks time to time, usually its irritation from the bedding or something else. They tend to get over it after a few days. If its really bad try putting an old towel instead of shavings or flakes as their bedding. Beat of luck

Any follow-up on this? Did you ever find out what it was? Mine are aggressively itching themselves on the butt, vent and top of legs but no signs of mites or lice anywhere so I’m confused.
It had been several days and she had big ole bald spots on under and around her wings. We gave her a bath with Dawn dishsoap and blowdried her. the next day, she looked so much better. Her feathers have now grown back and she is completely fine. We have no idea what the cause was

Back
Top Bottom