Help! Chicken’s neck limp

Skylara

In the Brooder
Apr 13, 2023
*First time chicken owner*

Yesterday, I went to check on the flock since I only seen 2/3 chickens in the run, I found one chicken in the coop with her neck limp. She’s an 11 week old buff orpington. She was completely fine the night before idk if she injured herself or if one of the other chickens jumped on her or something. I took her inside and helped her eat and drink. She was trying to eat by herself, could walk around slightly, and she seemed to be trying to lift her neck. I gave her nutri-drench and let her sleep. She’s still pooping, it’s a little watery (still solid) and more white than usual. Today, she isn’t walking (she occasionally tries to stand but just lays back down), isn’t trying to move her neck and isn’t trying to eat. I tube fed her and she drank some water when I held it to her beak. I gave her more nutri-drench and put sav-a-chick in her water. I made a “neck brace” out of a toilet paper tube. Is there anything else I should do? What could be wrong with her? I looked up symptoms and wry neck and Marek’s disease popped up. I got her at 8 weeks so idk if she’s had a Marek’s vaccine. Can Marek’s make a healthy looking chicken’s neck go limp overnight? Everything about wry neck I look up makes it seem like the chickens neck is twisting hers is just limp. I went ahead and put nutri-drench in the water for the other chickens just in case it is something other than an injury, so far they’re acting normal.

Attachments

• 203B4CC7-EE70-4F4B-B561-E54C538377D8.jpeg
    203B4CC7-EE70-4F4B-B561-E54C538377D8.jpeg
    447.8 KB · Views: 34
  • 2B0CB914-C317-44EB-8DDF-E8EA99D3F24F.jpeg
    2B0CB914-C317-44EB-8DDF-E8EA99D3F24F.jpeg
    514.5 KB · Views: 12
Likely advanced wry neck, give 400 i.u vitamin E and a sliver of B complex tablet, every day for two weeks.
The mareks vaccine doesn't keep a bird from catching or spreading mareks, it just prevents that bird from developing symptoms.

Likely advanced wry neck, give 400 i.u vitamin E and a sliver of B complex tablet, every day for two weeks.
The mareks vaccine doesn't keep a bird from catching or spreading mareks, it just prevents that bird from developing symptoms.
I woke up yesterday to one of my 5 week old chicks with her head low. I took her out of coop and she ate on her own but today she is totally lethargic. Been giving Nutri drench, save-a-chick electrolytes in her water by syringe, dosing with 1/4 of 81mg baby anspirin and made a make shift brace. She wakes up but then lays right back down. Anything else I can do for this poor baby? I’m honestly not sure if she got injured or it’s something else. She was totally active and fine the night before.

I woke up yesterday to one of my 5 week old chicks with her head low. I took her out of coop and she ate on her own but today she is totally lethargic. Been giving Nutri drench, save-a-chick electrolytes in her water by syringe, dosing with 1/4 of 81mg baby anspirin and made a make shift brace. She wakes up but then lays right back down. Anything else I can do for this poor baby? I’m honestly not sure if she got injured or it’s something else. She was totally active and fine the night before.
Give her the vitamins listed, she doesn't need electrolytes, a brace or aspirin.

Back
Top Bottom