HELP. Chicken ate medical tape!? wtf

echickenn

Hatching
Jun 26, 2023
Hey all! My chicken has bumblefoot and one of the other 3 hens must have eaten the tape off of her foot over night. It was about 3-4 inches long.
Will they be okay?

Also, hello I'm Emma. I've had chickens for a year and 3 months now. :)

Welcome!

They will probably be fine.

You can watch today, to see if they are all acting normally.

You could also check before sunup tomorrow, to be sure all crops feel flat and empty. If it did get stuck in the crop, that would be the easiest way to know (and you could come on here and ask for further advice). But if it did not get stuck in the crop, it will probably not get stuck anywhere else either.

Chickens eat many weird things, but most get ground up by grit in the gizzard and are never seen again. So if it gets past the crop, and the chickens have had access to grit (either from the ground or provided by you), then you mostly do not need to worry.

Oh, and if you are watching to see if they are acting normally: they will do many weird things to make you worry during this day, because chickens just like to do that ;) So do not get concerned unless a chicken acts very badly wrong.

Welcome!

They will probably be fine.

You can watch today, to see if they are all acting normally.

You could also check before sunup tomorrow, to be sure all crops feel flat and empty. If it did get stuck in the crop, that would be the easiest way to know (and you could come on here and ask for further advice). But if it did not get stuck in the crop, it will probably not get stuck anywhere else either.

Chickens eat many weird things, but most get ground up by grit in the gizzard and are never seen again. So if it gets past the crop, and the chickens have had access to grit (either from the ground or provided by you), then you mostly do not need to worry.

Oh, and if you are watching to see if they are acting normally: they will do many weird things to make you worry during this day, because chickens just like to do that ;) So do not get concerned unless a chicken acts very badly wrong.
I will definitely be sifting through poop in their run today, lol. I'll keep them in today to be able to check their poops in one confined area vs the yard. I wasn't TOO worried, but I don't know who did it. The bumblefoot chicken is going to the vet today to get some treatment. We caught it early thankfully, but I don't feel too comfortable cutting it out of her foot myself. I'll also check their crops in the morning, THANK YOU! <3

I will definitely be sifting through poop in their run today, lol. I'll keep them in today to be able to check their poops in one confined area vs the yard. I wasn't TOO worried, but I don't know who did it. The bumblefoot chicken is going to the vet today to get some treatment. We caught it early thankfully, but I don't feel too comfortable cutting it out of her foot myself. I'll also check their crops in the morning, THANK YOU! <3

If that tape comes out in the poop, it will probably be all ground up and not recognizable anyway. So I would not bother keeping them in and looking, but of course you can do it if you want to. It won't do any harm.

Back
Top Bottom