Help, chicken attack by dog

Chickies2

In the Brooder
6 Years
Mar 29, 2013
My Gem was attacked by a dog. Has lost feathers and her back appears to have been chewed on and limping on the one side. She is drinking some,however she has a fowl oder. She is staying in the nest seems to be trying to recover, any suggestions?

How long ago did this happen? Is the foul odor from wound infection or because she's not leaving her spot to poo?
Her wound should be cleaned, she should be given an antibiotic, and she should have food and water very close. Putting her inside in a dog crate would be a good idea, so you can assess her condition, and keep her from being picked on by flockmates. She also needs the extra warmth while healing.

Thanks.Monday night. They killed my other hen so she has the whole coop to herself. The foul odor is coming from her wound, I believe. I have had the food and water close to her in the coop where she has been staying. She does get up and walk around a little and shift around. We just sprayed the wound with peroxide after reading some threads. I also plan to get the antibiotics ASAP. She appears to be holding her own.

I'm so sorry you lost your hen. :(

Veterycin is stuff people swear by, so that would be helpful, too. Good luck on her recovery.

Last edited:
Yes thanks, it was pretty gruesome. She was my EE and best layer, her name was Mystic. Yes,that is what I'll get along with the antibiotics. Thanks for your help.

Back
Top Bottom