Help! Chicken attacked by dog!

Pharmertay

In the Brooder
Jun 24, 2021
Hi everyone. I would appreciate any advice I can get. My 3 year old australorp was attacked by a dog 4 days ago and is not getting better. She had a puncture wound behind her right wing and I throughly flushed the wound right away, cut all surrounding feathers and continued to apply ventricyn but did not give her oral antibiotics. I have her separated still since the incident and her wounds have scabbed over however she is not getting much better. She will drink if I encourage her to with a dropper and has stopped pecking at her food and will not go for the usual treats such as vegetables and egg yolks. She can’t walk well and will usually just plop down. It seems that she is having trouble breathing I suspect she had a punctured lung from the wound. Her poop is runny with small amounts of solids in it. I would appreciate any advice that I can get. There are no avian vets near me either. Thank you all I’m advance.

I had a hen attacked by a dog few years ago. She was in sad shape, but slowly recovered. As result, she lived her remaining 2 years blind,, (9 years to 11 years in age) . I had to keep her isolated in a dog cage during day, so she would not wander off. Food and water was inside cage for her. At night, she slept on coop floor, because she could fall off roost, and possibly get hurt.
What I'm getting at with my story, is,,,,,,,,,,, give it time, and your hen may recover slowly. You are giving her the best care you can. An avian vet can not perform miracles ether. They are not able to perform anesthesia, and internal surgeries.

WISHING YOU BEST,,,,,,,,,,,, :hugs ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,and:welcome

Thank you everyone for your advice. Sadly she passed away last night. I had a feeling she would just because of her decline. Thank you all though ❤️

Back
Top Bottom