Help! Chicken bleeding from being pecked too much.

Ilovechickens2525

In the Brooder
May 15, 2024
Yesterday it snowed here all day (I know, it’s almost June). So I had my new flock in the coop all day, didn’t let them outside until after lunch today because of the slush puddles in their coop. I checked on them often, including this morning and they looked fine. When I let them out after lunch this poor chicken was bleeding and feathers look over plucked. I’ve separated her for now.

What can I do to prevent this in future? We have long very cold winters. Was them being cooped up a factor? Will this stop once they are all mature and develop their pecking order? This chicken is probably 9 weeks old I was guessing, she’s not my smallest one. I have 11 and there are 4 that are older and close to laying but not laying yet. I do have one that I suspect may be a roo but I’m not 100% sure yet (breeder insisted it’s not but I have suspicions, tail feathers not obvious yet, I was wondering if it was this one to blame as I just got him/her less than a week ago…)

I feel awful for this little one. How can I prevent in future and how/when do I reintroduce?

Attachments

• 13B4EBBA-2F48-4773-95BF-84678AE2B420.jpeg
    13B4EBBA-2F48-4773-95BF-84678AE2B420.jpeg
    463.4 KB · Views: 25
How long have these birds all been together? You mentioned some are older but were these birds all raised together, or were some just recently added in?

How large is the coop? If you need to be cooping birds regularly due to weather you need more than the usual recommended space, something more like 8 sq ft per bird.

How long have these birds all been together? You mentioned some are older but were these birds all raised together, or were some just recently added in?

How large is the coop? If you need to be cooping birds regularly due to weather you need more than the usual recommended space, something more like 8 sq ft per bird.
It’s an 8x10 coop and we only have 11, so I thought that was a fair amount of space. I’m thinking I should’ve just let them out in their yard yesterday.

Some are new, so could be the issue. We’ve had 4 for a month and a half and the rest are within past week or so. The one who was pecked a lot is newer.

It’s an 8x10 coop and we only have 11, so I thought that was a fair amount of space. I’m thinking I should’ve just let them out in their yard yesterday.

Some are new, so could be the issue. We’ve had 4 for a month and a half and the rest are within past week or so. The one who was pecked a lot is newer.
Coop size is pretty good especially since they're all younger and smaller. Confinement could still be part of it, especially if there really isn't anything for them to do inside, but equally likely is the possibility that a newer, smaller addition makes a good target.

Are there multiple feeders available when they're confined?

The damage doesn't look bad from the photo. Do you have BluKote or any similar blue staining antiseptic treatment? I haven't had a lot of luck with it but some folks find it helpful to mask bloody areas to hopefully reduce picking.

I would consider just adding it back in with supervision - if that's not possible, then as far as isolating, it'd be best to keep the chick in the coop with the others. A cage of some sort, so the chick can see the others and the other birds can see it, would keep it safe while hopefully avoiding the need to reintegrate.

Yesterday it snowed here all day (I know, it’s almost June). So I had my new flock in the coop all day, didn’t let them outside until after lunch today because of the slush puddles in their coop. I checked on them often, including this morning and they looked fine. When I let them out after lunch this poor chicken was bleeding and feathers look over plucked. I’ve separated her for now.

What can I do to prevent this in future? We have long very cold winters. Was them being cooped up a factor? Will this stop once they are all mature and develop their pecking order? This chicken is probably 9 weeks old I was guessing, she’s not my smallest one. I have 11 and there are 4 that are older and close to laying but not laying yet. I do have one that I suspect may be a roo but I’m not 100% sure yet (breeder insisted it’s not but I have suspicions, tail feathers not obvious yet, I was wondering if it was this one to blame as I just got him/her less than a week ago…)

I feel awful for this little one. How can I prevent in future and how/when do I reintroduce?
I use Curicyn wound care clay. Honestly, if you do have a cockerel, I would put money on it that he is not the one causing her harm. After tending to her, if you are able, can you put a small protected area with food and water in for her with the others?

Back
Top Bottom