Songster
Oct 10, 2017
Oklahoma
What do i do?

Attachments

• 20190318_105936_HDR.jpg
    20190318_105936_HDR.jpg
    811.6 KB · Views: 82
I have no clue what occurred shes enclosed with four chickens younger and smaller in size than her. ruling out an injury by them. I opened the door go coop found her like this:(

What do i do?
More info needed, but maybe start with a chicken sling?
upload_2019-3-18_9-26-11.jpeg

How old is he, how long has he been like this, how long have you had him? What is fed regularly including treats and supplements? Any chance he got into chemicals or moldy feed?

You say her, but I see pointy saddle feathers... does she lay eggs? When was the last time.

Can you see any bleeding, swelling, or feel heat anywhere? Was she under the roost, by the door, lay box, or where? Any other chickens picking while down? How is the crop feeling, is it empty? How do the eyes look?

Is the legs shaking like shivering or paddling?

:fl

Um, i have had it since November shes approx 6 months old, give or take + i am not one hundred percent sure its a she, judging by the one i purchased before same breed as this was showing roo characteristics and crowing but not laying eggs yet. It stopped shaking, i guess it may have been cold, now one foot is curled up stilll no balance it was fine yesterday so as of perhaps this morning its been like this, i dont think any mold or chemicals.. its nice outside so it shaking stands out as odd (the other four were out in run when i noticed it wasnt out so i checked coop attached to run,) they are alll well taken care of. i feed all flock feed, water daily+ clean the waterers or feeders sorry im trying to keep it alert.. only thing positive is, it still has appetite and im holding it to drink water. :0

oE="EggSighted
e, post: 21110886, member: 415725"]More info needed, but maybe start with a chicken sling?
View attachment 1705808

How old is he, how long has he been like this, how long have you had him? What is fed regularly including treats and supplements? Any chance he got into chemicals or moldy feed?

You say her, but I see pointy saddle feathers... does she lay eggs? When was the last time.

Can you see any bleeding, swelling, or feel heat anywhere? Was she under the roost, by the door, lay box, or where? Any other chickens picking while down? How is the crop feeling, is it empty? How do the eyes look?

:fl[/QUOTE]
When did this start

It was a shivering almost the shaking of feet was becauseis its not moving feet just now ones curled the toes nothing seems to indicate an injury ive checked feet body she has access to feed and water

More info needed, but maybe start with a chicken sling?
View attachment 1705808

:fl
Under stomach is warm like with most chickens not out of ordinary just like any other day

Under stomach is warm like with most chickens not out of ordinary just like any other day
Okay, I guarantee this is a cockerel as saddle feathers don't lie..
upload_2019-3-18_10-25-43.jpeg

Next suspect would be Marek's. :( Have you had any experience with it before? This is the best information I have seen regarding the subject, though I'm not jumping to that conclusion. Was he vaccinated against it?
https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/the-great-big-giant-mareks-disease-faq.66077/

Here is a resource where you can put in symptoms and try to eliminate possibilities...
http://www.poultrydvm.com/symptoms

Only way to know for sure is necropsy, if it gets that bad...
https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/how-to-send-a-bird-for-a-necropsy-pictures.799747/

https://www.aphis.usda.gov/animal_health/nahln/downloads/all_nahln_lab_list.pdf

Sorry you face this. :( Hope he recovers! :fl

If you have vitamins like poultry nutri drench... I would get some on board.. if I were trying to save him. I personally cull for ANY suspected disease, once injury is ruled out. Any other birds will already have been exposed, but less virus shedding among the flock is less exposure to me. Some people offer all the support they can and do have Marek's birds living among their flock even after they had been this bad. Hang in there. :hugs

Back
Top Bottom