HELP! Chicken Can't stand up!

DoctorGoosey

Hatching
11 Years
Jan 27, 2008
My RSL pullet, Tilly can't stand up--she's sorta surfing around on her belly. She was born Oct, so she's however many months old. I can't find anything wrong with her--it seems almost like a meat chicken when it can't stand up any more...but she's a RSL! I'm switching her from grower to layer, just in case it is...any ideas???

Oh yes--and this IS DoctorGoose, but my computer won't allow me to log in. Figures.

Last edited:
it's possible she could have rickets from a growth spurt..

some plain unsweetened yogurt and vitamins might help...
a crushed Tums (for the calcium) might help also.

if she isn't laying, I don't think I'd start her on layer feed.
another possibility is worms.
(tapeworm can cause paralysis)

any other symptoms?
are the feet curled?
do you have roosters?..(she could have been injured by a roo)
feel back and hip area for heat or swelling.

do a good check of her legs and feet.
check legs for raised scales and any crusty material.
check feet and between toes for any swelling or heat, any sores or scabs.

if the hen is paralized.(check for that)..she could have an injury..or Mereks.

Last edited:
Please describe what her diet has been till now?
do you have a general supplement?
Does she seem overweight?

She's not overweight--I can feel her breastbone. Checked for everything on her feet, they're clean and healthy. Started her on antibiotics, electrolytes, and dewormer. I have her on Rooster-booster since she's too small to free-range with everyone else yet, and she is in with a rooster (one her age we're trying to get rid of).

Before yesterday, she was on grower. I am afraid that she's not getting enough calcium, though, so I've added free-choice oyster shells.

It seems like she's just really weak, and won't stand up; but I'm not sure about the "cruising" around on her belly. I did isolate her so she can get her vitamins all by herself.

...so she has never laid yet?

Question>are you putting the vitamins and antibiotics together in the same waterer? (please do not>also some antibiotics will not work properly when combined with some vitamins...with some antibiotics , calcium supplement is contr-indicated)
What antibiotic are you giving (and why)
What are her poos like ?

She cannot walk at all or stand still?

Nope, I have pelleted vitamins I'm giving her, and gave her a antibiotic shot. Her poo is fine, kind of orangey but normal otherwise. She's started standing a little now, and protests when I pick her up, so I don't think she's weak, and she extends her legs when I do pick her up, so she's not paralyzed. It's quite strange.

What are these "pelleted vitamins" (brand name?) and exactly what vitamin shot did you give her?

Back
Top Bottom